Skip to main content

Lakes and Ponds Permitting

***If you have experienced flood damage on your lakefront parcel, please reach out to your Regional Lake and Shoreland permitting contact to discuss any proposed projects. Inquiries regarding flood-related issues will be prioritized.depiction of where on the lake or shore different permitting requirements are in effect

Report an Environmental Violation

 If you observe or have knowledge of any activity that may be in violation of Vermont's Shoreland Protection Act, an unauthorized lake encroachment, or other lake-related violation, please report the problem. Reports may be made anonymously.

Aquatic Nuisance Control

A permit is required for activities used to control nuisance aquatic plants, insects, or other aquatic life (including lamprey) in Vermont’s waterbodies.  Examples include use of pesticides, pond dyes, copper-based algaecides, bottom barriers,  powered mechanical devices, and structural and biological controls.  Aquatic Nuisance Control Permits are issued under 10 V.S.A. Chapter 50, Subsection 1455. 

Lake Encroachment

Projects encroaching on public waters  (from mean water level towards the lake) such as docks, walls, boathouses, bridges, water intakes, cables, dredging, or fill requires a permit.  Lake Encroachment Permits are issued under 29 V.S.A. Chapter 11. 


As of July 1, 2014, changes to land use within 250 feet of a lake’s mean water level (also known as the Protected Shoreland Area), such as any new development, redevelopment, or vegetation removal, may require a permit.  Shoreland Permits are issued under 10 V.S.A Chapter 49A, Subsections 1441–1449.

Pesticide General Permit

Discharges from the application of pesticides to waters of the state for the following pesticide use patterns require coverage under Vermont's Pesticide General Permit:
(1) mosquito and other flying insect pest control;
(2) weed and algae control;
(3) animal pest control; and
(4) forest canopy pest control.

Additional Permits

Knowing all of the permits required before you begin your project can help prevent delays. Use the Permit Navigator tool to identify any required environmental permits and approvals (e.g., wetlands, wastewater) for projects on a single parcel. If it is a linear, polygon, or multi-parcel project, contact a Community Assistance Specialist to get started.

Public Comment

Most Lakes and Ponds permits require that a draft decision be placed on a public comment period. Public comments may be made during the public comment period through the Environmental Notice Bulletin (ENB). Draft  decisions, submitted applications and site plans, and final permit decisions issued within the last 30 days may be viewed on the Environmental Notice Bulletin. Learn about accessing the ENB here:

Regional Lake and Shoreland Permitting Contacts

"An image of Vermont with counties outlined and shaded to depict which analyst is assigned to which area of the state"