The LaRosa Volunteer Water Quality Monitoring Analytical
Services Parternship (LaRosa Partnership Program)
Since 2003 this partnership has helped watershed associations and monitoring groups across the state of Vermont implement new and/or ongoing surface water monitoring projects for waters in need of water quality assessment by helping to alleviate the financial burden of laboratory analysis costs. This testing allows citizens to get out and see their streams and rivers firsthand, learn about water quality issues, and use water testing to identify where impacts are present.
VIEW & EXPORT LAROSA DATA
FORMS AND TEMPLATES
PARTNERS- PAST & PRESENT
FAQs / ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
INQUIRY FORM, TESTIMONIALS, and PHOTOS
Waters in need of monitoring that are of particular concern to your watershed group and of interest to our department are encouraged to apply for this partnership. The concern could be recreational, aesthetics, or simply an overwhelming feeling that an impact is occurring that has yet to be addressed and more sampling is required.
If you do become a LaRosa partner, responsibilities include: preparing RFPs (request for proposals), QAPPs (Quality Assurance Project Plans), training volunteers to collect the water samples, collecting the water samples, sample delivery to VAEL, completing bottle orders, interacting with the VAEL staff, watershed coordinators and Jim Kellogg, QCing the data and getting the data to Jim via a prepared template (it then gets further QC review), preparing the final report, and disseminating the results to the public. If you are sampling E.coli at swimming holes, posting signs directly at the sites is also required.
Read testimonials of what watershed groups involved with LaRosa have said about the program.
Interested in partnering with the LaRosa program? Read the Request For Proposals (RFP) document (due by February 8, 2019), which has detailed information about the program.
Check out an overview of the annual timeline for watershed groups involved in the LaRosa Partnership Program.
- LaRosa Volunteer Monitoring Sites and Years Data Retrieval- a database where you can query watershed associations' data by site or by year and export to excel. This data has been thoroughly reviewed.
- LaRosa Partners Web-Based Chemistry Results for Final Review- For LaRosa partners only. A password-protected database with each watershed group's data that has not been through all QAQC measures.
- Vermont Integrated Watershed Information System- The VTDEC-Watershed Management Divison's online data portal for water quality information. Here you can access water quality and chemsitry testing information from all of Vermont. This holds PRELIMINARY LaRosa data that has not gone through any QAQC measures.
- VT ANR Atlas- mapping tool with over 150 different layers from across the department
- 2019 Request for Proposals for Laboratory Analytical Services - Document updated yearly with the partnership information. The 2019 RFP is available and due on February 8, 2019 to your regional watershed coordinator!
- 2018 Request for Proposals for Organizational Support - The 2019 RFP for Organizational Support is pending funding/approval.
- US EPA Generic QAPP Outline - Quality Assurance Project Proposal, submitted yearly.
- LaRosa Submission Guidelines - Guideline for laboratory use and sample submission.
- Bottle Request and Field Sheet
- LaRosa Organizational Support Grant Templates:
The Addison County River Watch Collaborative has created this video to demonstrate proper water quality sampling techniques:
Matrix Spike: What is it and why do you need it? The ESS Laboratory has created a document explaining various quality control measures used during data collection.
GIS Guides (for ArcMap):
Create a Basic Site Map
Current 2018 LaRosa Partners:
Addison County River Watch Collaborative
Black River Action Team
Connecticut River Conservancy
Deerfield River Water Association
Four Rivers Winooski Partnership
Franklin County NRCD
Franklin Watershed Committee
Friends of Mad River
Huntington River Conservation Partnership
Lake Iroquois Association
Memphremagog Watershed Association
Missisquoi River Basin Association
Ottaquechee River Group
Poultney Mettowee Watershed Partnership
Rethink Runoff Stream Team
Seymour Lake Association
South Chittenden River Watch/ LaPlatte Watershed Partnership
Southeastern Vermont Watershed Alliance (SeVWA)
Upper Otter Creek Watershed Council
Upper Winooski Joint Conservation Commissions
White River Partnership
Williston Conservation Commission
Past LaRosa partners:
Burke Conservation Commission
Calais Conservation Commission
Essex Waterways Association
Friends of Northern Lake Champlain
Lake Iroquois Tributary Monitoring Program
Lake Rescue Association
Northwoods Stewardship Center
Norwich Conservation Commission
Ompompanoosuc Watershed Council/White River NRCD
Rock River-Friends of the Missisquoi Bay
St Albans Bay Association
Stevens River Watershed Council
Reports are written by LaRosa partners at the end of each sampling season.
Partners- thank you for all of your hard work!
Addison County River Watch Collaborative: 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010
Black River Action Team: 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2014 | 2013
Burke Conservation Commission: 2015
Calais Conservation Commission: 2005
Connecticut River Conservancy: 2018 | 2017 | 2014
Essex Waterways Association: 2006
Four Rivers Winooski Partnership: 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2013
Franklin NRCD: 2018
Franklin Watershed Committee: 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010
Friends of Mad River: 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2012 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008
Friends of Northern Lake Champlain: 2015
Huntington River Conservation Partnership: 2018 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2006 | 2004
Lake Iroquois Tributary Monitoring Program: 2018 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011
Lake Rescue Association: 2008
LaPlatte Watershed Partnership: 2018 | 2017
LaPlatte Watershed: 2012 | 2011 | 2004-2010
Thorp Brook, Kimball Brook, Holmes Creek Watershed: 2013 | 2011
McCabes Brook: 2014-2015
LaPlatte River: 2014-2015 | 2013
Thorp Brook Kimball Brook: 2014-2015
Memphremagog Watershed Association: 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008
Missisquoi River Basin Association: 2018 | 2015-2017 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2008
Northwoods Stewardship Center: 2006
Ompompanoosuc Watershed Council: 2015 | 2007 | 2006
Ottaquechee River Group: 2018 | 2017 | 2010-2015 | 2010
Poultney Mettowee Watershed Partnership: 2018 | 2016 | 2014 | 2013 | 2011 | 2010 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2004
Rethink Runoff Stream Team: 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2013 | 2012
Seymour Lake Association: 2009 | 2008
Southeastern Vermont Watershed Alliance: 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006
Stevens River Watershed Council: 2007 | 2005
Upper Otter Creek Watershed Council: 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2010 | 2007 | 2006 | 2004
White River Partnership: 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2011 | 2010 | 2008 | 2007
Williston Conservation Commission (Allen Brook): 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2007-2014 | 2007-2010
Winooski Headwaters Partnership: 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2008 | 2007
If you would like to sign up to receive monthly LaRosa Partnership Program newsletters, email Kristen Switzer!
Vermont Agricultural and Environmental Laboratory (VAEL)
US Geological Survey StreamStats
WikiWatershed: Freshwater Stewardship Web tools
Real Statistics using Excel
Flow Observation Guidelines- Example flow observation photos. Important reference for identifying flow level and flow category during sampling.
Additional Proposal and QAPP Preparation Resources:
- Vermont Assessment Page with Lists of Impaired and Priority Waters:
- “Vermont Surface Water Assessment and Listing Methodology”
- "Vermont Surface Water Management Strategy"
- “Vermont Volunteer Surface Water Monitoring Guide”
- EPA's “Volunteer Monitor's Guide to Quality Assurance Project Plans”
James Kellogg Kristen Switzer
LaRosa Coordinator ECO AmeriCorps Member