Skip to main content

Well Driller Reporting

The Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection Division maintains a database of wells drilled and their location. Important: Well Driller Licensing has been transferred to the Office of Professional Regulation (OPR) 


IMPORTANT: Well Driller Licensing has been transferred to the Office of Professional Regulation (OPR).  

Current Licensed Well Drillers are found through OPR's Find a Professional lookup tool.

Questions regarding well driller licensing may be sent to SOS.OPRlicensing3@vermont.govor by phone at (802) 828-5434.

Well Completion/Abandonment Reporting

Submit the Well Completion/Abandonment Report (WCAR) within 90 days of completing a well (a well is considered completed when the drill rig has completed drilling or hydrofracturing the well, NOT when the well pump is actually installed, since the State has no jurisdiction over pump installation or abandonment has been completed), include all applicable well construction and well information in the WCAR, and ensure all well construction standards are being met, submit accurate latitude and longitude coordinates (decimal degrees format) for the well, and be sure the WCAR reports are properly signed and dated by a Vermont licensed well driller. Well Abandonment Completion: For ease of use when abandoning a well, fill in the Well Abandonment Information and other specifics, if it is known-and submit within 90 days of well abandonment completion.
NOTE: Timely WCAR submittal is essential because data are used for characterizing groundwater conditions and flow, understanding the bedrock and the unconsolidated materials over them, for effective contaminant remediation, aquifer interpretation, engineering applications, homeowner education, and compliance with permits. The state is more actively enforcing the WCAR requirements. If questions, please call the Division main line at 802-261-5749.

Well Tags: These may be resupplied by Chase Novello.

ONLINE SUBMITAL INSTRUCTIONS: Please see these instructions on how to access and use the online form options for submitting information to the Division.

Well Completion Report – to report the drilling (and hydrofracturing if appropriate) of a new well.

Well Deepening and Hydrofracturing Report – to report subsequent expansion of an existing well.

Well Closure Report – to report the closure/abandonment of a well.

Well Improvements - to report changes to existing private wells.

VDH FACT SHEET: Testing Drinking Water from Private Water Supplies-Required to be supplied to property owner by well driller upon well completion

Exemption Forms: For Construction of a Replacement Well or Connection to a Public Water System serving only one Single Family Residence on its own Individual Lot:

Water Well Advisory Committee

The Vermont Water Well Advisory Committee (WWAC) was established by the General Assembly to advise and assist Vermont Agency of Natural Resources (VT ANR) personnel in the formulation of policy, including recommended statutory and regulatory changes, regarding the proper installation and maintenance of water wells, licensing of well drillers, and groundwater issues impacted by well-drilling activities. The Governor signed Bill H.8 in 2018 merging the members of the WWAC into the existing Groundwater Coordinating Committee which has a broad mandate to advise the Secretary on groundwater related issues, including well construction and drilling practices.  For information on the GWCC and past meeting minutes visit Groundwater Protection, Management and Coordination.


Search Tools