Fees, Applications and Permits

Various certifications and permits required by either state or federal rules and regulations. Permits for various wastewater and drinking water programs are linked below along with certifications and licenses for individuals.

As of January 1, 2018, certain types of permits, certifications and registrations are required to be noticed publicly on the new Environmental Notice Bulletin (ENB) and must follow new procedural rules under Act 150 (10 V.S.A. Chapter 170), a law that standardized and consolidated DEC public notice and comment processes. For more information on what this means for applicants, please visit: http://dec.vermont.gov/permits

Please note that there is a change in the process for Source Permit applications. Under the new rule, applicants must notify adjoining property owners of their application prior to submitting the application to the department.  The Department has created an official notice which applicants are required to use to make this notification- this notice is available as a form template for your convenience.  The applicant must include a certification to the Department that they have sent notification to the adjoining property owners via US mail. Please see information below to see how other Division permits are incorporated into ENB and Act 150.


  • Source Water Permitting - for a new source, hydrofracturing or deepening of an existing source, or any increase in withdrawal of an existing source.
  • A Construction Permit is required for all new public water system proposals and for any existing improvements, major repairs, or expansion to an existing public water system. In addition, In-state bottled and bulk water collection, treatment and distribution facilities are required to obtain a construction permit prior to construction of or modification to existing infrastructure. Under Act 150, public notice is required for all permits with applications deemed administratively complete after January 1, 2018. For construction permits, draft permit notification shall be posted on the ENB for a minimum of 14 days prior to issuance or denial of the permit application. Permits for the use of a new chemical disinfectant require a 30-day comment period when the application is deemed administratively complete. NOTE: The Division has a new online Construction Permit application form which can be accessed here at ANR Online. Please see the Construction Permit Application Guidance Document  here for information on how to use the form.
  • Permit to Operate a Public Water System - All public water systems are required to have a Permit to Operate. It includes a description of the water system, findings from the most recent sanitary survey, conditions, requirements, violations and a compliance schedule to correct significant deficiencies if necessary. The Permit to Operate does not expire and is non-transferable when ownership changes.  Pursuant to Act 150, operating permits will be placed on the ENB to notify the public when the permit is issued.
  • Groundwater Withdrawal Permits - For non-drinking water and groundwater withdrawal reporting and permitting
  • Indirect Discharge - Land-Based Indirect Discharge Sewage Permits 
  • Underground Injection Control - Discharging certain non-sanitary waste into an opening in the ground
  • Wastewater and Potable Water Supply - Permitting through the Regional Office Program for soil-based wastewater and non-public water systems

Certifications and Licenses

Fees for drinking water and wastewater.