Skip to main content

Engineering and Water Resources

Construction Permitting

Construction Permit is required for all new public water system proposals and for any existing improvements, major repairs, or expansion to an existing public water system. In addition, In-state bottled and bulk water collection, treatment and distribution facilities are required to obtain a construction permit prior to construction of or modification to existing infrastructure. Under Act 150, public notice is required for all permits with applications deemed administratively complete after January 1, 2018. For construction permits, draft permit notification shall be posted on the ENB for a minimum of 14 days prior to issuance or denial of the permit application.

Source Water Permitting

All Public Water Supply Systems (PCWS, NTNC, TNC, Domestic Bottled/Bulk Water) are required to have a source water permit for any new source, hydrofracturing or deepening of an existing source, or any increase in withdrawal of an existing source.  Applicants for this permit must comply with the Water Supply Rule Chapter 21 and if applying for a Domestic Bottled or Bulk Water Permit, it must also comply with the requirements of the Groundwater Withdrawal Reporting and Permitting Rule-Chapter 24.

Source Water Protection

Since 1992, a Public Community and Non-Transient, Non-Community Water System must have an approved Source Protection Plan (SPP). This Plan addresses the actions the public water system will perform to minimize the contaminant risks to their drinking water supply source(s). This is also necessary in order to receive an Operating Permit,  Phase II/V Monitoring Waiver,  and/or Phase II/V Monitoring Waiver Renewal. The water system is required to submit an updated plan to the Division every three years for approval.