Truck with "Food scraps on board" - link to list of haulers providing food scrap pick-up

Small Hauling Truck - Link to list of permitted waste haulers

Waste Haulers

Any party intending to haul waste materials to or from any location in Vermont for compensation must obtain a hauling permit from the Agency of Natural Resources. Permits allow the Agency to hold waste haulers accountable for practicing safe and environmentally sound transportation methods, and delivering waste materials to an appropriate final destination. This page contains information on applying for and renewing waste hauler permits, as well as recent policy guidelines affecting waste haulers. 

Hauler Permit Information

Criteria for Jurisdiction

All commercial haulers  operating within the State of Vermont are required to obtain and maintain a waste transportation permit. A commercial hauler is defined as:

(a) any person that transports regulated quantities of hazardous waste; and,
(b) any person that transports solid and residual (septage or sewage) waste for compensation.

 Permits are issued as five-year permits, and are required to be renewed on an annual basis by submitting an updated version of the vehicle report form and an annual statement. Potential solid waste haulers should check with their local solid waste management district for additional permit requirements, if any.

Guidance Brochures for Haulers

  1. Hauler Annual Renewal Brochure
  2. Hauler New Permit or Hauler 5-Year Permit Renewal Brochure
  3. Hauling Without a Permit Brochure


A person (Officer, Director, or Key Employee) must be authorized to sign any of the following hauler applications listed below. An Officer, Director, or Key Employee is; and individual employed by a business concern in a management capacity, or who is empowered to make discretionary decisions of a financially material nature with respect to the solid, residual, or hazardous waste operations of the business concern. 

If your Permit or Annual Renewal expires on June 30, 2018, or you plan on hauling starting on July 1, 2018 or after, please include the following applications by May 1, 2018

New Permit or Renewal of a 5 Year Permit (valid July 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019)

Annual Renewal (Due Every Year by May 1st)

  • 2018-2019 Vermont Waste Transportation Vehicle Report Form  
  • Annual Statement
  • Supplemental Application - For Hazardous Waste Haulers only
  • Franchise Tax Form - For transporting non-hazardous waste out-of-state. Please Note: In addition to submitting to the Vermont Department of Taxes, a copy must be submitted to Cheryl Hamilton in the Solid Waste Program, on a quarterly basis. This can be emailed or mailed.

Modifications (add a vehicle/trailer anytime - valid July 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019)

Fees for Hauling Solid, Hazardous, and Residual Waste are as follows:
vehicle Type Description of Vehicle Fee Per Vehicle
Hazardous Waste (Hazardous Waste) - For each Hazardous Waste vehicle, regardless of size $125.00
2-Axle (Non-Hazardous Waste) - For each Pickup, each Stakebody or each Utility Trailer $50.00
3 or 4-Axle (Non-Hazardous Waste) - For each Packer, each Dump, each Roll-off, or each Box Truck $75.00
All Other Larger Type Vehicles (Non-Hazardous Waste) - For each Tractor, or each Trailer, each one must be permitted $100.00
  Checks payable to: Treasurer, State of Vermont  
 Please fill out forms and send by mail to:  

Department of Environmental Conservation
Waste Management & Prevention Division
Attn: Cheryl Hamilton
1 National Life Drive, Davis 1, Montpelier, VT 05620-3704

Hazardous Waste "Annual Report"

Any hazardous waste transporter permitted by the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources must complete the Hazardous Waste Annual Report for Transporters by April 15th of each year.  Contact Wendy Edwards at (802)522-0261 or by email at 

Septage Hauler Fees & Reporting