Municipal Roads General Permit (MRGP)
The Municipal Roads General Permit is intended to achieve significant reductions in stormwater-related erosion from municipal roads, both paved and unpaved. Municipalities will implement a customized, multi-year plan to stabilize their road drainage system. The plan will include bringing road drainage systems up to basic maintenance standards, and additional corrective measure to reduce erosion as necessary to meet a TMDL or other water quality restoration effort. The permit is required by Act 64, the Vermont Clean Water Act, and the Lake Champlain Phase I TMDL.
For more information on the DEC Municipal Roads program and the development of the Municipal Roads General Permit, contact Jim Ryan by email or at (802) 490-6140.
NEW! Spring 2020 Newsletter is now available.
Application and Reporting Materials
- MRGP Amendment Form for the Road Erosion Inventory (REI) submittal.
Towns are required to complete and submit REIs before December 31, 2020. After submitting the town's REI data to the MRGP Implementation Portal, towns are required to compete the one-page permit Amendment Form certifying that the REI has been submitted.
- Annual Report - Municipalities shall submit the Annual Report by April 1, 2020.
Towns are required to fill out and submit a one-page MRGP Annual Planning Report before April 1, 2020. This form includes basic information intended to keep towns on track with MRGP compliance.
Road Erosion Inventory (REI) & Implementation Table
Municipalities shall complete a Road Stormwater Management Plan (RSWMP) by December 31, 2020. The RSWMP consists of the municipality’s Implementation Table and results of the Road Erosion Inventory.
- NEW! The Department has developed an Implementation Table that can be accessed here: MRGP Implementation Table Portal
The Implementation Table can be used to access and query Road Erosion Inventory results and keep track of the road upgrade progress in meeting the new MRGP standards.
- Road Erosion Inventory Forms
- MRGP presentation (PDF format, 4.6 MB file size)
- MRGP presentation (Powerpoint format, 27 MB file size)
- Methodology for determining GIS-derived municipal roads hydrologic connectivity proximity analysis
- Intermittent Stream Culvert Sizing Guidance
- Summary Sheet
Permit Fee Information
MRGP fees are established by the Legislature. The current fee schedule, 3 V.S.A § 2822, is available on the legislative website at: https://legislature.vermont.gov/statutes/section/03/051/02822. The sections relevant to the MRGP can be found beginning at 3 V.S.A § 2822 (j)(2).
- $240 Administrative processing fee due with the submittal of the Road Erosion Inventory and REI Permit Amendment form, if not already submitted. This was due December 31, 2020.
- $500-$1,800 Prorated annual operating fee (see prorated annual operating fee link for amount for your municipality). This is due before June 1, 2021 and every year thereafter.
- Prorated MRGP Annual Operating Fees
- Municipal Road Miles and Population for MRGP fees
- Final Municipal Roads General Permit
- Response to Comments received during the public comment period.
- MRGP NOI
Final Draft Municipal Roads General Permit (MRGP) Permit for Public Review