Municipal Roads General Permit (MRGP)
The Municipal Roads General Permit is intended to achieve significant reductions in stormwater-related erosion from municipal roads, both paved and unpaved. Municipalities will implement a customized, multi-year plan to stabilize their road drainage system. The plan will include bringing road drainage systems up to basic maintenance standards, and additional corrective measure to reduce erosion as necessary to meet a TMDL or other water quality restoration effort. The permit is required by Act 64, the Vermont Clean Water Act, and the Lake Champlain Phase I TMDL.
For more information on the DEC Municipal Roads program and the development of the Municipal Roads General Permit, contact Evelyn Boardman by email or at (802) 636-7396.
2023 General Permit and Response to Comments
Annual Operating Fees and Reporting Materials - Due April 1 of Each Year
- Annual Report - Annual Reports are due on April 1 of each year. Please complete the Annual Report and submit it using the ANROnline General Intake Form.
- Annual Operating Fees - Annual Operating Fees are due on April 1 of each year. The prorated annual operating fee ranges from $500-$1,800 (see annual operating fee link for amount for your municipality). The municipal coverage and fee structure were determined by Municipal Road Miles and Population.
- MRGP Administrative Compliance Status
Road Erosion Inventory (REI) & Implementation Table
Municipalities shall complete a Road Erosion Inventory Reassessment by October 31, 2027.
- REI Amendment Form
- MRGP Implementation Table Portal is an entry point for results of the Road Erosion Inventory, baseline and current summaries, and progress meeting the MRGP standards for towns.
- Road Erosion Inventory
- The Reporter for MRGP is a web-based solution for reporting town highway segment and outlet work completed to meet the MRGP standards.
- DEC’s Fieldworker Solution provides towns, or those working on their behalf, a way to complete the required Road Erosion Inventories and submit the data directly to DEC for scoring. Inventories submitted are pulled into the Portal and scored on a regular basis. The solution requires a mobile device.
- The supplements for Roads with Closed Drainages and Roads with Open Drainages outline the methodology for completing road inventories depending on MRGP road type.
- Explanation of Segment Scoring.
Funding and Technical Assistance
- VTrans Grants in Aid Program
- Vermont Better Roads Grant Program
- VTrans Municipal Assistance Section
- Vermont Local Roads workshops and technical assistance
- Vermont Better Roads Manual
Permit Fee Information
MRGP fees are established by the Legislature. The current fee schedule, 3 V.S.A § 2822, is available on the legislative website at: https://legislature.vermont.gov/statutes/section/03/051/02822. The sections relevant to the MRGP can be found beginning at 3 V.S.A § 2822 (j)(2).
- $240 Administrative processing fee due with the submittal of the Road Erosion Inventory and REI Permit Amendment form, if not already submitted. This was due December 31, 2020.
2023 Renewal Documents
2018 Municipal Roads General Permit (MRGP) Permit
- 2018 Final Municipal Roads General Permit
- Response to Comments received during the public comment period.
Final Draft Municipal Roads General Permit (MRGP) Permit for Public Review