The update of the Deerfield River watershed and the Connecticut River tributaries in southeastern Vermont is underway. This revised basin plan will provide an overall assessment of the current conditions of the watershed, identify high priority waters for restoration and protection, and direct funding to implement projects that protect, enhance, and restore aquatic habitat that supports the uses and values such as swimming, fishing, and boating.
Basin 12 includes 18 towns including Brattleboro, Dover, Stratton, and Wilmington. It encompasses the Deerfield and Green Rivers and the East Branch of the North River which all flow into central Massachusetts to the Connecticut River. The tributary streams that flow directly into the Connecticut River include Whetstone, Broad and Newton Brooks.
Learn more about the Basin in the Deerfield River StoryMap.
The new Plan will lay out a framework to restore polluted waterways, identify needed improvements to infrastructure, such as bridge and culvert replacement, call out stormwater problems in need of mitigation, and address nitrogen pollution in the Connecticut River.
Over 150 projects are already identified and listed in the Clean Water Project Explorer, an on-line interactive map showing the projects and locations.
Public input is needed to inform the draft plan to ensure that local concerns and projects are included.
2014 Tactical Basin Plan and Appendices
Basin Assessment Report Basin 12 - Deerfield River and Connecticut River Direct (June 2023)
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination in Brattleboro, FINAL REPORT (January, 2012)
- Basin 12 Water Quality and Aquatic Habitat Updated Assessment Report
- Basin 13 - Lower Connecticut River Direct Drainage Assessment Report (April 2002)
- Crosby Brook Stream Corridor Restoration Plan
- The Biotic Condition of Crosby Brook and Exploration of the Environmental Stressors on the Aquatic Communities
- Whetstone Brook Watershed Corridor Plan
- Deerfield River Enhancement Fund
- Map of Vermont's 15 Major Drainage Basins
- Vermont Surface Water Management Strategy
- Watershed Planning
- Windham Regional Commission
- Bennington County Regional Commission
- Windham Natural Resources Conservation District
- Bennington County Conservation District
- Deerfield River Watershed Association & Friends of the Green River
- Lake Raponda Association
- Southeastern Vermont Watershed Alliance
- Connecticut River Watershed Council
- Connecticut River Joint Commissions
Marie Levesque Caduto, Watershed Planner
Vermont ANR / Department of Environmental Conservation
100 Mineral Street, Suite 303
Springfield, VT 05156-3168