Underground Storage Tank Registration and Permitting

Registration is required for all USTs, except for tanks under 1100 gallons located at a farm or a single family residence. USTs at public buildings must register no matter what size.

Propane tanks are not regulated by this agency. Please go to VT Department  of Public Safety Division of Fire Safety's website for infomation on propane tanks.

How to register an underground storage tank:

  • Complete and email the applicable parts of the UST Form:  Part IPart II ,  Part III,  PartIV . The form (s) can be filled out on-line, but it cannot be saved and submitted on-line. Email to: susan.thayer@vermont.gov
  • Tank owners are to have Part 1 of the UST form recorded in the town/city land records.  Owners and operators of all category one, two, and three underground storage tank systems shall record the existence
    and location of underground storage tanks in municipal land records in accordance with this section.  The owner or operator  shall submit a completed Part l of the UST form and  the municipal recording fee (all town/city recording fees are $15.00 per page) required by 32 V.S.A. § 1671. The fee shall be submitted with the application. Payment  shall be made by check payable to the municipality in which the underground storage tank system is located. Mail Part l and the recording fee to: State of Vermont, DEC/WMPD/UST Program, attn: Susan Thayer,  1 National Life Drive Davis 1, Montpelier VT 05620-3704

How to Permit an underground storage tank:

Permitting is required for all Category One Tanks (COTS): These are underground storage tanks  that contain motor fuel and fuel oil for retail sales,  back up  generators, waste oil storage, and chemical storage.

Any changes to a permit and new permits will be posted on the Environmental Notice Bulleting for 15 days prior to issuing the permit.

When facility with underground storage tanks is changing ownership, an online form is to be completed at the ANRonline site: https://anronline.vermont.gov/?formtag=USTChangeOfOwnership
The ownership change must be recorded in the land record with the municipality in which the tank(s) are located. City and Town clerks require a$15.00 page fee for the land record update.

Permitted USTs-change of ownership requires a permit in the new owners name (PERMITS DO NOT TRANSFER). The buyer must apply for a permit, then permit then has to be drafted and posted for public comment for 15 days before the permit can be issued. If the facility has sold and the new owner has not done a change of ownership resulting a new UST Operating permit, the USTs cannot be in operation.
The facility must be in compliance with UST rules before issuing an operating permit, contact the UST Program well before the scheduled facility real estate closing by callling  802-828-1138 and ask to speak with UST staff to find out if a facility is in compliance with the UST rules and learn about what systems the facility has onsite.

Non Permitted USTs-USTs that are not permitted but still require registration will need a change of ownership form completed by going to the link note above.

Complete the change of ownership online https://anronline.vermont.gov/app/#/formversion/01684657-b0c3-4c29-9dd7-756a6dbcf2aa?formtag=USTChangeOfOwnership Print the form and mail it and the $15.00 check made out to the city or town to:
UST Program
1 National Life Drive, Davis 1
Montpelier VT 05620-3704

Program staff will send the form and check to the city or town for recording

If there are tanks that need to be permitted
-Permitted Tank - Change of ownership will require a new Operating Permit the new owner must pay the $125.00/tank permit fee online at :https://anronline.vermont.gov/Home/661bc2f1-850a-4ac1-8e75-ce9bc5b5fb38
Provide proof of online payment in PDF copy of the payment reciept to susan.thayer@vermont.gov
All permits must be posted for public comment for 15 days prior to issuance to the new owner. 
Upon the closing sale on the facility, contact UST program for the operating permit. 

-Registered Tank only - When ownership has been transferred to a new party, the ANR must be notified within 30 days, https://anronline.vermont.gov/?formtag=USTChangeOfOwnership 
City/town land record will need to be updated. 

Frequently Asked Questions

What does Registration Mean?
A tank owner is required to register a UST, by using a form provided by the Agency for all new and existing USTs.

Are any USTs exempt from Registration?
 YES, USTs at a farm or single famity residence  in VT that  are :

  • less than 1100 gallons and are used exclusively for on-premises heating and domestic hot water 
  • less than 1100 gallons used for storing motor fuel which are not used in connection with a commercial operation 

What USTs need to be registered with the State of Vermont? 

  • Any underground (buried) storage tank located at a public building 
  • All USTs used for the storage of diesel, fuel oil, kerosene, gasoline, new oil, used (waste) oil, chemical product, and out-of-service tanks are required to be registered. 

Are any registered USTs exempt from having a permit?
The following are exempt from registration  and or permitting requirements:

  • a UST storing fuel oil for on-premises heating and domestic hot water at a single family dwelling under 1100 gallons 
  • a farm or residential tank used for storing motor fuel under 1100 gallons
  • UST(s) that has been permanently closed-in-place

What USTs are required to have a permit issued by the Agency? 

All owners or operators of Category One Tanks are required to have a permit to install, upgrade, or operate a Category One Tank.

What is the definition of a Category One Tank? 

ALL underground storage tanks except fuel oil storage tanks used for on-premises heating purposes or farm or residential tanks used for storing motor fuel.

What is financial responsibility?  

In order to ensure that money is available for on-site cleanup of a release to the environment and compensation of third parties for bodily injury and property damage, owners or operators of petroleum underground storage tanks are required by federal and state law to demonstrate that they have the financial capability to pay for sudden and non-sudden accidental releases from their underground storage tanks. This requirement applies to category one tanks. A category one tank is an underground storage tank except for:  

  • fuel oil storage tanks used for on-premises heating purposes, and
  • farm or residential tanks for storing motor fuel.

If the Petroleum Cleanup Fund is chosen as the mechanism to satisfy the financial responsibility requirement of the UST Permit, then a check for the first year tank assessment is required to accompany the UST Form. Make check payable to the Treasurer, State of Vermont.

Registering a UST - the only fee is a check for $15.00 made payable to the Town or City Clerk of the Town or City in which the tank is located. This is a land record fee. An example would be 22 Smith Street, Waterbury, the check would be payable to the Town Clerk of Waterbury. The online UST Form is to be printed and mailed to the UST program. Program staff will send the form and your check to the town or city clerk. the form  is recorded in the land records against the land owner’s name.

Tanks that require a permit to operate,  fees are  $125.00 per tank/per year. A compartmental tank is considered one tank. 

Example: If a facility is brand new and never had tanks then the fees are $15.00 for the land record fee and $125.00 per tank fee. 

If a Permitted facility is adding another tank(s) the fees are as  stated above

Questions? Contact the UST program at 802-828-1138




Agency of Natural Resources
Department of Environmental Conservation
Waste Management and Prevention Division

Davis Building - 1st Floor
One National Life Drive
Montpelier, VT 05620-3704