Skip to main content

UST Installation

Photo of underground storage tank with flexible pipe installation.

For UST systems that will be permitted (category one tanks (COTs), including piping), a construction permit must be issued before installation begins. The UST Form (see below) must be completed and submitted, along with any fees, to the Storage Tanks Section at least 60 days prior to beginning construction. Once the review of the form is complete, a construction permit will be issued, and construction may commence.

After the tank(s) and/or piping have been installed, your contractor must complete and submit a:

  1. Tank Installation Checklist; and/or
  2. Piping Installation Checklist or Piping Replacement Without Excavation Checklist

Find a Consultant/Contractor


  • UST Form (Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV
  • Financial Responsibility
  • Operator Designation
  • Operating Permit Fees: From the ANRonline webpage, scroll down to the bottom, and click "Begin Form Entry" to start the process of payment.
  • Change of Ownership: This link directs you to the "ANRonline" tool. The city/town clerk fee for recording in the land record is $15; make check out to the municipality where the tanks are located. Instructions on where to send the check are found on the ANRonline "Change of Ownership" page. Note that the UST Form Part l will not be accepted for changes of ownership.

Contact Information

To submit completed forms and proof of paid permit fees, and/or if you have questions about UST installation in Vermont, please contact:
Sue Thayer

Storage Tanks Section
Hazardous Materials Program
Waste Management and Prevention Division
Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation
1 National Life Drive – Davis 1
Montpelier, VT 05620-3704