Skip to main content

Hazardous Waste Permitting

Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility (TSDF) Permits

A Treatment, Storage and Disposal Facility (TSDF) permit is required of persons who: (1) treat, store, or dispose of hazardous wastes received from an off-site location, (2) treat, dispose of their own hazardous waste on-site, or (3) store their own hazardous waste on-site for longer than 180 days for Small Quantity Generators, or 90 days for Large Quantity Generators. A TSDF permit is issued for a maximum term of ten years.

Emergency Hazardous Waste Treatment and Disposal Permits

Emergency Permits are for emergency hazardous waste treatment and disposal for potentially unstable containers of hazardous waste. Prior to performing chemical stabilization, facilities must get a emergency hazardous waste treatment and disposal permit. Please contact the Hazardous Waste Program to discuss permit requirements or if you have any questions regarding the appropriate scope/response.

Waste Transporter Permits

Any party intending to haul waste materials to or from any location in Vermont for compensation must obtain a Waste Hauling Permit from the Agency of Natural Resources. Permits allow the Agency to hold waste haulers accountable for practicing safe and environmentally sound transportation methods, and delivering waste materials to an appropriate final destination. In addition to the requirements of the waste hauling permit, haulers of Hazardous Waste must complete and submit a Supplemental Application.

Current Facility Permits

Each permit above is posted "as issued" and may have been modified after the "effective date" of the permit. Please note that there may be minor approved permit modifications that are not shown in the above. To determine if a permit has been modified, please contact the Hazardous Waste Section.