Skip to main content

Hazardous Waste Permitting

Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility (TSDF) Permits

A Treatment, Storage and Disposal Facility (TSDF) permit is required of persons who: (1) treat, store, or dispose of hazardous wastes received from an off-site location, (2) treat, dispose of their own hazardous waste on-site, or (3) store their own hazardous waste on-site for longer than 180 days for Small Quantity Generators, or 90 days for Large Quantity Generators. A TSDF permit is issued for a maximum term of ten years.

Permit Modification Requests

Global Foundries is requesting a permit modification for their hazardous waste treatment and storage facility located at 1000 River Street, Essex Junction, Vermont. The permit modification request may be accessed here: Permit Modification Request

Public comments on the permit modification can be submitted to Vermont DEC through August 24th, 2024. All public comments regarding the permit modification request should be directed to:
William Sisson
Waste Management & Prevention Division
1 National Life Drive, Davis 1
Montpelier, VT 05620-3704

A public informational hearing will be held at 5pm on July 10th, 2024, at the City of Essex Junction Municipal Building, 2 Lincoln St, Essex Junction, VT. The purpose of this meeting is to discuss the basis and content of the Class 2 Modification request. To make special arrangements for individuals with disabilities, please contact William Sisson (see above).

Emergency Hazardous Waste Treatment and Disposal Permits

Emergency Permits are for emergency hazardous waste treatment and disposal for potentially unstable containers of hazardous waste. Prior to performing chemical stabilization, facilities must get a emergency hazardous waste treatment and disposal permit. Please contact the Hazardous Waste Program to discuss permit requirements or if you have any questions regarding the appropriate scope/response.

Waste Transporter Permits

Any party intending to haul waste materials to or from any location in Vermont for compensation must obtain a Waste Hauling Permit from the Agency of Natural Resources. Permits allow the Agency to hold waste haulers accountable for practicing safe and environmentally sound transportation methods, and delivering waste materials to an appropriate final destination. In addition to the requirements of the waste hauling permit, haulers of Hazardous Waste must complete and submit a Supplemental Application.

Current Facility Permits

Each permit above is posted "as issued" and may have been modified after the "effective date" of the permit. Please note that there may be minor approved permit modifications that are not shown in the above. To determine if a permit has been modified, please contact the Hazardous Waste Section.