EPA Site Identification Numbers

Initial Notification:

All hazardous waste handlers, including anyone who generates hazardous wastes, transports hazardous waste, or operates a treatment/storage/disposal facility for hazardous waste, are required by the Vermont Hazardous Waste Management Regulations (VHWMR) to notify the Department of Environmental Conservation and receive an EPA ID Number for their site. Completion of the Vermont Hazardous Waste Handler Site ID Form fulfills this requirement (instructions for completing the form). The Hazardous Waste Handler Site ID form replaces the Vermont Notification of Regulated Waste Activity and should be used in Vermont in place of EPA Form 8700-12

Changes/Updates In Status or Business:

Generators can change or update company name, mailing address, generator status, and other facility information in one of two ways:

1) by completing and submitting to the Agency the Vermont Hazardous Waste Handler Site ID form.

2) by updating their facility’s information using EPA’s RCRAinfo Industry Application.  Learn how to register for a RCRAinfo Industry User account here.

Temporary Site ID Forms:

The Secretary may issue a temporary identification number to persons who have generated hazardous waste only from an one-time or episodic event. The Temporary Site ID Form is used for one-time or episodic events.

Links to Forms and Guidance:

Commonly Used NAICs Codes - North American Industry Classification System Codes
Hazardous Waste Program Contacts
Environmental Research Tool


Agency of Natural Resources
Department of Environmental Conservation
Waste Management and Prevention Division

Davis Building - 1st Floor
One National Life Drive
Montpelier, VT 05620-3704