MAP's Assessment and Listing Process is driven by Vermont's State Water Quality Standards. In 2017, DEC completed a review and update of the Vermont Water Quality Standards. A triennial review of state water quality standards is required by the federal Clean Water Act. See Triennial Review below for more information.
- 2014 Vermont Water Quality Standards (archive)
Additonal information on water quality regulations and rules may be found at the Division's Laws, Regulations and Rule page.
Pre-Rulemaking Stakeholder Outreach
- Summary of DEC's Proposed Changes to VWQS (April 2021)
- VWQS Draft with Markup (April 2021)
- Revised VWQS Draft with Markup (August 2021)
Stakeholder Comments Recieved
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Great River Hydro
- Lake Champlain Committee, Conservation Law Foundation, and Vermont Natural Resources Council
- Vermont Public Power Supply Authority
- VHB on behalf of Green Mountain Power and Vermont Ski Areas Association
Proposed Water Quality Standards Rule and Supporting Documents
Note: Links will be posted at the time of filing.
- Proposed Vermont Water Quality Standards
- Vermont Wetland Rules
- EPA 2013 Aquatic Life Ambient Criteria for Ammonia
- EPA 2021 Revision to the 2016 Aquatic Life Ambient Water Quality Criterion for Selenium
- EPA 2018 Aquatic Life Ambient Water Quality Criteria for Aluminum
- Vermont Implementation Procedure for Aluminum
- Vermont Implementation Procedure for Copper