As part of its authority under the Federal Clean Water Act, the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources has developed a Medium Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation (CAFO) General Permit that will offer National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) protection to eligible Medium Farms in Vermont that apply for permit coverage. If you are the operator of a Medium Farm and would like to remain permitted under the MFO GP, you do not need to take any action. If you are interested in coverage under the Medium CAFO GP or an Individual CAFO Permit, or if you have any questions, please contact Clarice Cutler or Abbi Pajak in the CAFO Program.
The revised Agency of Natural Resources’ Medium CAFO General Permit was issued on 1/17/2023.
Notice of Intent (NOI) - Operators seeking coverage under the Medium CAFO GP are encouraged to review the GP and the NOI and contact Clarice to schedule a preapplication meeting or phone call.
2023 Medium CAFO GP and Fact Sheet:
- General Permit
- General Permit with tracked changes since March 2022 notice
- Fact Sheet
- Fact Sheet with tracked changes since March 2022 notice
- Response to Comment
- Attachment 1 Curran-Howes Policy Memo
Additional drafts of the General Permit, responses to AAFM and EPA comments, and a response summary below represent changes made during the stakeholder process that took place between March 2021 and November 2021, as well as during the formal public comment period.
Previous drafts of the Medium CAFO GP and Fact Sheet and supporting documents:
- ANR response to EPA comments GP
- ANR response to EPA comments Factsheet
- 2021 Draft General Permit
- 2021 Draft General Permit Factsheet
- Stakeholder Comment Response Summary
- Medium CAFO GP Summary Document
- Medium CAFO GP Presentation Slides
- VAAFM Comments on Draft Medium CAFO Cover Memo with ANR Responses
- VAAFM Comments on Draft Medium CAFO with ANR Response
- EPA Comments on Draft Medium CAFO GP
- EPA Comments on Draft Medium CAFO GP Factsheet
- AAFM Buffer Recommendations