The Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) invited Vermonters to attend three online presentations in July 2020 to review a collaborative watershed action plan for the Northern Lake Champlain Direct Drainages. The plan encompasses a portion of the Lake Champlain watershed that stretches from Ferrisburgh to Swanton, including the Lake Champlain Islands, as well as Shelburne, Burlington, Malletts and St. Albans Bays.
Developed in partnership with members of local communities, state and federal agencies, watershed groups, regional planners, and agricultural partners, the basin plan covers four key areas:
- Current water quality issues,
- Strategies to protect and improve local waterways,
- Tactics to prevent and reduce phosphorus pollution from entering Lake Champlain,
- Funding and technical assistance for projects, such as tree planting along shorelines, that contribute to restoration of local waterways.
“While the state is responsible for developing basin plans to restore and protect surface waters, the participation of Vermonters in developing and activating the plan is key to the plan’s success” said Karen Bates, Watershed Planner with the Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation.
December 28, 2017: The Northern Lake Champlain Tactical Basin Plan was updated to include the Lake Champlain Phosphorus TMDL – Phase II Plan materials, such as high-resolution phosphorus load modeling.
The Basin 5 Plan dated August 27, 2015 can be found at the following link:
The Basin 5 plan dated 2009 can be found at the following links:
- The Basin 5 Plan Executive Summary
- The Basin 5 Plan
- The appendices to the Basin 5 Plan
- Two maps useful to reviewers of the document
Basin Specific Reports
- Biological and Aquatic Life Use Attainment Assessment of Allen Brook
- Aquatic Life Support Assessment of Englesby Brook
- Biological and Aquatic Life Use Attainment Assessment Potash Brook
- Biological Use Support Attainment Of the Rock River
- The Effects of a Lampricide Treatment of TFM on Non-target Fish and Macroinvertebrates In Trout Brook, Milton, Vermont - September, 1995
- Basin 5 Malletts Bay Streams
- Basin 5 St. Albans Bay Streams
- Basin 5 Shelburne Bay Streams
- Identifying Capital Eligible Water Quality Projects and a Methodology for Mapping Potential Critical Source Areas: A St. Albans Bay Watershed Case Study by the Northwest Regional Planning Commission