UST Installation

Installation of New UST Systems

Piping Installation PhotoFor UST systems that will be permitted (Category One Tanks or COTs including piping), a construction permit must be issued before installation begins. The UST Registration/Permit Form (see below) must be completed and submited, along with any fees, to the UST Program at least 60 days prior to beginning construction. Once the review of the form is complete, a construction permit will be issued, and construction may commence.

After the tank(s) and/or piping have been installed, your contractor must complete and submit a:

  1. Tank Installation Checklist; and/or
  2. Piping Installation Checklist or Piping Installation Without Excavation Checklist
Lists of Contractors

The storage tank program does not license environmental consultants or contractors nor endorse/recommend anyone on these lists.


UST Registration/Permit Form:
Part I, Part II, Part III, and Part IV 

Operating Permit Fees
From the ANRonline webpage, scroll down to the bottom, and click "Begin Form Entry" to start the process of payment.

Financial Responsibility Form

Change of Ownership
This link directs you to the "ANRonline" tool. The city/town clerk fee for recording in the land record is $15; make check out to the municipality where the tanks are located. Instructions on where to send the check are found on the ANRonline "Change of Ownership" page. Note that the UST Form Part l will not be accepted for changes of ownership.

Operator Designation Form


To submit completed forms and proof of paid permit fees, and/or if you have questions about UST intallation in Vermont, please contact:
Sue Thayer

Agency of Natural Resources
Department of Environmental Conservation
Waste Management and Prevention Division

Davis Building - 1st Floor
One National Life Drive
Montpelier, VT 05620-3704