Residential Aboveground Storage Tank (AST) Removal/Replacement Program

AST Removal/Replacement Assistance Application Process
1.You are eligible to apply for assistance if you meet the following criteria:

  1. The tank is located at a single family residential property in the state of Vermont
  2. You own the tank or mobile home
  3. Tank is used to provide heat to a single family residence:
  4. Previous years income was less than $65,000.00
  5. The tank work still needs to be done NOTE: tank replacement work that is done before an assistance award is made is NOT eligible!

2.What to submit:

  1.  Completed application form
  2. Proof of ownership of the property or mobile home-a copy of a tax bill is best!
  3. Proof of income. A copy of the most recent Federal income tax form or a social security statement. NO state tax returns, or pay stubs or W2s are acceptable
  4. Submit all required documents as one package. Applications without the other documents requested above will be considered incomplete and will not be considered for assistance.

3.How Applicants are Selected:

Applications are evaluated and ranked based on the following in the order shown

  1. Household Income
  2. Age of tank
  3. Drinking water source for the home
  4. Environmental/Sensative populations ie nearby surface water bodies, schools, day cares, hospitals
  5. Installation of a new replacement aboveground home heating oil tank is needed

4. If your application is selected:

A letter is written and sent to the applicant by the States Department of Environmental Conservation approving your application to recieve assistance. The letter will indicate how much the assitance will be, and how long the award is good for. The award offer is dated and will expire if you do not use it in the time alotted in the approval letter

5. If you application is not selected:

A letter will be mailed to the application stating the application was not approved

6. If selected, what do you do next?:

If you are found eligible for the full award (up to $2,000.00)here are your next steps:

  1. Get three written estimates for the tank replacement work. The State will provide assistance for the amount equal to the LOWEST BID!   
  2. Select your contractor and get the work done! NOTE: if you select a contractor other than the lowest bid, you are responsible for the difference between the lowest bid and the bid you selected
  3. Once the work is done, send us the invoices for the tank work, the three estimates, and the installation checklist signed by the inspector, and the Direct Payment Form or proof of payment if you have paid for the work .

If you are found eligible for less thean the full award ($250-$1,999.00) 3 estimates are not required! Simply complete steps 2 and 3 above.

6.What happens next:

Once we receive and review the invoices and new tank installation checklist (completed by the installer), we send out payment. If a Direct Payment Form has been submitted, we send the check directly to the contractor. If you submitted documentation showing you have paid for the work, we send out payment to you. If you have not paid for the work, and NOT completed a Direct Payment Form, a two-party check is sent to you for your signature and forwarding to the contractor.

7. How long does payment for eligible work take?

Payment can be expected in 3-4 weeks

8. Where to send the paperwork:


Attn Kristin Schultz
1 National Life Drive-Davis 1
Montpelier VT 05620-3704


Got questions?
Please call 802-828-1138 and ask to speak with Kristin Schultz or Lisa Brassard


link to statute ( (g))

Link to Aboveground Storage Tank Rules


Agency of Natural Resources
Department of Environmental Conservation
Waste Management and Prevention Division

Davis Building - 1st Floor
One National Life Drive
Montpelier, VT 05620-3704