You are eligible to apply for AST removal/replacement assistance if you meet the following criteria:
The tank is located at a single family residential property in the state of Vermont
You own the tank or mobile home
Tank is used to provide heat to a single family residence:
Previous year's income was less than $65,000
The tank work still needs to be done. Please note that tank replacement work that is done before an assistance award is made is not eligible.
Application and Selection Process
To apply, submit:
Completed application form;
Proof of ownership of the property or mobile home. A copy of a tax bill is best.
Proof of income. A copy of the most recent federal income tax form or a social security statement. State tax returns, pay stubs, or W2s are not acceptable.
Submit all required documents as one package to the contact listed at the bottom of this page, and please note that applications without the other documents requested above will be considered incomplete and will not be considered for assistance.
Applications are evaluated and ranked based on the following, in the order shown:
- Household Income
- Age of tank
- Drinking water source for the home
- Environmental/Sensative populations ie nearby surface water bodies, schools, day cares, hospitals
- Installation of a new replacement aboveground home heating oil tank is needed
What to Do if Your Application is Selected
If your application is selected, you will receive a letter from the Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation approving your application to recieve assistance. The letter will indicate the amount of assistance, and how long the award is good for. The award offer is dated and will expire if not used within the alotted time, as outlined in the approval letter. If you are found eligible for the full award (up to $2,000) your next steps are as follows:
- Get three written estimates for the tank replacement work. The State will provide assistance for the amount equal to the lowest bid.
If you are found eligible for less than the full award ($250-$1,999), three estimates are not required. Simply complete steps 2 and 3 below.
- Select your contractor and get the work done. Note that if you select a contractor other than the lowest bid, you will be responsible for the difference between the lowest bid and the bid you selected.
- Once the work is done, submit: the invoices for the tank work; the three estimates; the installation checklist signed by the inspector; and the Direct Payment Form, or proof of payment if you have paid for the work.
Please note that if your application is not selected, a letter will be mailed to the applicant stating the application was not approved.
Once we receive and review the invoices and new tank installation checklist (completed by the installer), we send out payment. If a Direct Payment Form has been submitted, we send the check directly to the contractor. If you submitted documentation showing you have paid for the work, we send out payment to you. If you have not paid for the work, and not completed a Direct Payment Form, a two-party check is sent to you for your signature and forwarding to the contractor. Payment can be expected in three to four weeks.
Please submit forms to the following:
Attn: Kristin Schultz
1 National Life Drive-Davis 1
Montpelier VT 05620-3704
If you have questions, please call the number below and ask for Kristin Schultz or Lisa Brassard: