Residential Heating Oil Tank Removal/Replacement Financial Assistance Program

Fiscal Year (FY, begins July 1) financial assistance through the Petroleum Cleanup Fund (PCF) is available to the owners of single family residences (including mobile homes) that have oil storage tanks (underground or aboveground) used solely for on-premises heating. The financial assistance is for low income Vermont (VT) homewoners for the removal and replacement (if needed) of residential oil tanks that provides heat to a non-commercial property located in Vermont. The financial assistance program has limited funding. The programs total fiscal year expenditures is not to exceed $400,000 per fiscal year (FY) from July 1 to June 30.  The goal of the financial assistance program is to assist low income VT homeowners in replacing tanks which otherwise might leak and cause adverse impact to the environment. In many cases, this means prioritizing funds to the lowest incomes applicants who otherwise would not have the financial resources to accomplish the tank replacement. Environmental risk and household income are the two main considerations for allocation of funds, as set forth in Statute ( (g)).

Commercial or Non profit organizations may be able to receive a loan through the Vermont Community Loan Fund (VCLF)

If you are not receiving financial assistance from our program, the Vermont Fuel Dealer’s Association (VFDA) is offering rebates independent of income for anyone who replaces their existing non compliant aboveground storage tank with a new one.  For more information, go to  Tank owners may only receive funding from one of these programs

Aboveground Storage Tank removal/replacement Program Information (applications for FY2021 will only be accepted after 5/15/2020)

Aboveground storage tank (AST)  means any tank, other than a buried underground storage tank (UST)  containing heating fuel (#2 oil or Kerosene). 
Aboveground Storage Tank Rules

Underground Storage Tank (UST) is a tank that is buried on the property containing #2 fuel oil (not a tank in the basement, that is an Aboveground Tank)

Vermont Fuel Dealers Association video on aboveground storage tanks

Assistance for underground storage  tanks (tanks buried on property): Applications for FY 2021 are available. Applications can be printed filled out and submitted before 7/1/2020 but work done before approval and before 7/1/2020 will not eligible for reimbursement/payment. Applicants will be notifed by mail or email as to whether the application was approved or denied. Incomplete applications will be returned to applicant.

A complete application consists of:

  • All questions anwered on application (especially the question on Environmental Consultant)
  • Proof of property ownership (property tax bill or deed)
  • Proof of income (most recent tax return form*, social security benefit statement or disability benefit statement).
    *Due to the IRS's extention for filing 2019 tax return, 2018 return is acceptable until 7/15/2020. Applications made after 7/15/2020, will need to submit 2019t tax return.

Brochure on removing a residential home heating oil underground tank.

For UST removal only:  Applicants must identify, on the application, a consultant who will be performing the release assessment at commencement of construction. Here is a list of environmental consultants  to assist in that requirement.

Residential underground storage tanks (buried on property), that are in use, are not required to be removed. If the underground tank is out of service for more than 1 year it needs to be removed (or if removal is not an option due to a structure over the tank, in-place closure is allowable). Please see the brochure on removing or closing in place underground storage tanks.

*Work completed prior to an application being received and approved will not be eligible for financial assistance.  If an application is approved but documentation shows work was completed prior to application recieved and the application approved, then this is cause for a denial of assistance.*

Questions? Please call 802-828-1138

Agency of Natural Resources
Department of Environmental Conservation
Waste Management and Prevention Division

Davis Building - 1st Floor
One National Life Drive
Montpelier, VT 05620-3704