WSM - Wetlands Jurisdictional Do I Need

WSMD - wl Jurisdictional Wetland Rules

Permit Information

Any activity within a Class I or II wetland or buffer zone which is not exempt or considered an "allowed use" under the Vermont Wetland Rules requires a permit. In order to obtain a permit, an applicant must show that they are unable to perform the activity outside of the wetland or buffer zone and that they are not lowering the quality of the wetland's protected functions and values. Wetland permit applications take 3-6 months to review dependent on the complexity of the project and completeness of the application. Applicants must plan accordingly. See the links below for more permit information.

  • 3-9025 General Permit - The Secretary may issue general permits for discrete categories of Class II wetlands and for discrete categories of activities or uses in accordance with the provisions of this section. Click on the link to view the current general permit and see if your activity applies.
  • 3-9026 Non-reporting General Permit – This General Permit is for stream crossing structure replacement, failed wastewater system replacement, retrofits for Stormwater treatment practices, and Vermont Natural Resources Conservation Services Conservation Practice Standards on farms for access roads, heavy use protection areas, stream crossings, trails and walkways, and artificial wetlands. Eligible activities are limited by square footage thresholds, and by the type of impacted wetland.  Project proponents may self-verify coverage and must register the activity with the Vermont Wetlands Program, except for farm practices described in the permit. Click on the link to view the current non-reporting general permit and see if your activity applies.
  • Wetland permit application process – additional instructions and details of the wetland permitting process
  • Wetland permit amendment guidance – details of when an amendment is needed and types of amendments
  • Farming FAQ of Non-reporting General Permit 3-9026 - The Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) wants to make it as easy as possible for farmers to continue to complete important water quality practices. Here are a few answers to some questions about the new non-reporting general permit which was issued November 19, 2018.

Pre Application Material:

Application Materials:

Post Approval Materials:

Amendment forms:
Reporting Forms:

Reporting forms may now be completed online. You will need to have your permit number available; click on the appropriate link below to complete your report of Town Recording, Start Work date, or Work Completion:

If you are unable to use the electronic forms, PDF versions are available as well: Town Recording, Start Work, Work Completion.

If you are having technical issues with any of the forms, please email us at or call 802.490.6100

Wetland permit fees and notice periods as of April 1, 2017
Application Type Fee Notice Period
Individual Permit $240 + review fees 30 Days
General Permit Authorization $240 + review fees 14 Days
Administrative Amendment and Permit Transfers $50* none
Permit Extension $240 14 days
Minor Amendment $120 14 days
Major Amendment $240 + net review fees 30 days
Other Fee Types Fee
Review Fees $0.75/sqft wetland impact $0.25/sqft buffer
After the Fact Fees $1.50/sqft wetland (restoration may be required)
Minimum $50
Cropland Conversion $200
Application Revision $100
Fee exemptions for municipalities and Vtrans no longer apply as of 7/1/15
* no fees for typographical error corrections

WSMD - Wetlands Home