Section 555c of Title 10, Chapter 23 and section 2822(j)(B) of Title 3, Chapter 51 require that any person operating or responsible for the operation of an air contaminant source emitting more than five tons of "criteria" air contaminants per year shall register the source annually and pay the designated fees. The structure of the program is defined in more detail in the Vermont Air Pollution Control Regulations, Subchapter VIII. A list of Hazardous Air Contaminants (HACs) are found in Appendices B & C of the regulations, and other detailed information pertaining to HACs may be located on the Hazardous Air Contaminants page.
Since Air Contaminant Registration first became required in 1987, the Vermont Air Division has compiled a list of sources in the state subject to the requirement. The State attempts to contact any source which is likely to be subject to the registration requirement. Once a source comes "aboard" and information has been processed for the first year of inclusion into the program, renewal of the registration each year is a relatively simple procedure.
If you need to register a source for the first time, however, the process is slightly more involved. The Air Division will need to organize your initial data submittal into a satisfactory representation of individual processes and stacks for your source (hereinafter referred to as "facility" because more than one source may comprise an overall facility subject to Air Registration). The easiest procedure currently is to contact Dan Riley (802-272-3695), the administrator of the program, to determine what (if any) information for your facility already is on file with the state. Additionally, it is likely that information regarding fuel consumption or process materials usage for the most recent calendar year must be submitted in hard copy. After contacting this office you will receive a packet of generic forms (see below) to aid you in this submittal. Associated with these forms will be other instructive literature for the facility new to the Air Registration Program.
ANNUAL REGISTRATION FORMS & SUPPORTING MATERIALS
At this time no electronic submittal of the Registration forms is available to facilities in the state, although this will be a future priority.
- Please note that all submittals to the AQCD must also include a signed Certification of Information Accuracy form.
Criteria Pollutant Registration (Update 12/3/2018)
- Questions? - Contact Dan Riley (802-272-3695)
Hazardous Air Contaminant Registration (Updated 11/7/18)
- Note: A detailed description of each form can be found in the HAC Registration Instructions
- Questions? - Contact Jeff Merrell (802-272-3656) or Collin Smythe (802-689-0003)
Registration Data - Additional Information
A relational database is used to house the registration information the State receives, and facilitate management of the Registration Program. This database includes information at the facility, stack, process, and segment level in a manner consistent with EPA National Emissions Inventory databases for ease in transfer of information to the Federal Government. This level of detail is necessary so the State can make an accurate assessment of actual annual emissions for the calendar year in question. The data submitted for registration requirements is also utilized by other sections in the Air Division. The Registration database is not yet available for public viewing, although some useful summary lists have been provided here:
- 2004 Statewide Facility Criteria Pollutant Emissions
- 2005 Statewide Facility Criteria Pollutant Emissions
- 2006 Statewide Facility Criteria Pollutant Emissions
- 2007 Statewide Facility Criteria Pollutant Emissions
- 2008 Statewide Facility Criteria Pollutant Emissions
- 2009 Statewide Facility Criteria Pollutant Emissions
- 2010 Statewide Facility Criteria Pollutant Emissions
- 2011 Statewide Facility Criteria Pollutant Emissions
- 2012 Statewide Facility Criteria Pollutant Emissions
- 2013 Statewide Facility Criteria Pollutant Emissions
- 2014 Statewide Facility Criteria Pollutant Emissions
- 2015 Statewide Facility Criteria Pollutant Emissions