- March 20, 2020 - Corrective Action Plan Available for Review and Comment - Bennington and North Bennington Corrective Action Area I and II - Operational Unit B
Corrective Action Plan 2 (CAP2) has been developed to address the presence of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) in groundwater and certain drinking water supply wells in portions of the Towns of Bennington and Shaftsbury and the Village of North Bennington. CAP2 specifically addresses properties in an area designated Operable Unit B in Corrective Action Area I and Corrective Action Area II pursuant to the Consent Order and Final Judgment between the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources (ANR) and Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics, dated May 28, 2019. CAP2 includes the following plans:
- Well Replacement Plan – addresses potential well replacement and associated activities at properties at which the PFAS concentrations are at or above the groundwater enforcement standard.
- New Well Testing Plan – addresses sampling requirements at properties with newly proposed and installed wells.
- Bottled Water Plan – addresses interim actions (i.e., supplying bottled water) upon identification of PFAS concentrations at or above the groundwater enforcement standard in a new or replacement well or any well subject to the long-term monitoring plan.
- POET Operation, Monitoring and Maintenance (OM&M) Manual – addresses point of entry treatment (POET) system OM&M requirements at properties with POET systems.
- Long-Term Monitoring Plan – addresses the sampling requirements for drinking-water wells without POET systems.
- Long-Term MNA Plan – addresses the long-term plan to monitor natural attenuation (MNA) of PFAS concentrations in soil and groundwater until the associated soil and groundwater enforcement standards are met; and
- Institutional Control Plan – addresses the institutional controls associated with Corrective Action Area I OUB and Corrective Action Area II OUB, as applicable.
- March 19, 2020 - Corrective Action Plan Available for Review and Comment - Bennington Corrective Action Area II - Operational Unit C
- March 10, 2020 - Corrective Action Plan Available for Review and Comment - Former Chemfab Building at 1030 Water Street in North Bennington
- The Corrective Action Plan (CAP) for the removal of PFOA from building materials inside the old Chemfab building located at 1030 Water Street in North Bennington is out for public comment. The cleanup includes the removal and disposal of all insulation and soft materials and cleaning of hard surfaces using hot, high pressure water washing with collection of the water and treatment before discharge. This work will occur from April through June of 2020 with all work planned on being completed by July of 2020. Public comments on this CAP are due by April 9, 2020. Comments can be sent to the DEC through the ENB or by emailing Richard Spiese or by calling at 802-249-5083.
- October 18, 2019 - Water Street Facility - Documents Related to Evaluation of Corrective Action Alternatives
- September 25, 2019: Barr Memorandum Memorandum summarizes the evaluation of building material cleaning alternatives and performance standards for assessing the effectiveness of cleaning during the proposed corrective action at the Water Street facility
- October 8, 2019 - Agency response to Barr Memorandum
- January 28, 2019 - Evaluation of Corrective Action Alternatives
- January 28, 2019 - Agency initial response to Barr’s Evaluation of Corrective Action Alternatives
- July 26, 2019 - Memo documenting Corrective Action Plan finalized
- July 16, 2019 - Final 2019 PFAS Sampling Plan, Responsiveness Summary to PFAS Statewide Sampling Plan
- June 27, 2019 - Soil Management Plan finalized - Excess Soils Management Plan, Approval Letter
June 4, 2019 - 2019 PFAS Statewide Sampling Plan
April 10, 2019 – The State has reached a final agreement with Saint-Gobain for the properties on Bennington’s east side affected by perfluooctanoic acid (PFOA) contamination. The Final Agreement documents are now available:
- Consent Order
- Appendix A - Corrective Action Work Items and Schedule
- Appendix A1 - Corrective Action Work Items and Schedule
- Appendix B - Map of Final Corrective Action and Operable Unit Areas
- Appendix C - Comparative Analysis of Corrective Action Options: North Bennington
- Appendix C1 - Evaluation of Corrective Action Alternatives: Corrective Action Area ll, Bennington
- Appendix D - Record of Decision and Selection of Remedy for Corrective Action Area l
- Appendix D1 - Record of Decision and Selection of Remedies for Corrective Action Area l and Corrective Action Area ll
- Appendix E - Agreement for Payment for Expansion of Municipal Water Lines
- Appendix F - Settling Defendant's related entities
- Appendix G - Contacts for Notices Under the Consent Order
- Cover Letter to Court
- Certificate of Service
March 24, 2019 – Report on PFAS Background in Vermont Shallow Soils
January 2019 – PFAS Emergency Rules Available
July 2018 - Updated Spoils Management Plans Available
- July 16, 2018 - PFAS Emergency Rules available for pre-rulemaking comment
- July 10, 2018 - Water Street Site Investigation Report - Additional information available in Appendices E and F
- July 10, 2018 - PFAS Sampling Report
- June 29, 2018 - Updated map which includes Corrective Action Areas for Operable Unit B.
- June 25, 2018 - Approval letter issued for Operable Unit B Corrective Action Plan.
- June 1, 2018 - Updated Spoils Management Plan and Approval Letter now available
- May 11, 2018 Press Release - Corrective Action Plan for Private Wells in Operable Unit B Released
- Proposed Corrective Action Plan OUB Bennington and North Bennington
- April 5, 2018 Press Release - State Agencies Work to Remove PFAS Contamination From Rutland Business Park Water System
- Conceptual Site Model Site Investigation Report: Bennington VT March 2018 Report Report with Appendices Response to VT ANR comments dated February 22, 2018 and February 26, 2018
- Water Street Facility Work Plan
- Draft Interim Conceptual Site Model Site Investigation Report: Bennington, Vermont submitted by Saint-Gobain on February 15, 2017 - includes data from new bedrock wells Report Report with Appendices ANR Comment dated February 26, 2018
- Draft Interim Conceptual Site Model Site Investigation Report: Bennington, Vermont submitted by Saint-Gobain on December 15, 2017 - Report Report with Appendices ANR Comment dated February 22, 2018
- Presentation slides used in January 9 presentation on site investigation and draft Corrective Action Plan
- Updated Environmental Assessment prepared for disposal of soils removed during water system expansion
- Updated Spoils Management Plan for Water Line Extension in Bennington
- Public Notice - Environmental Assessment prepared for disposal of soils removed during water system expansion
- Public Notice - Proposed Corrective Action Plan for Bennington and North Bennington Available
- Bennington PFOA Consent Order and Comment Period
- Governor Phil Scott, Attorney General TJ Donovan, and Benning County legislative leaders announce a settlement with Saint-Gobain.
- Did you miss the Community Meeting held on Thursday, April 27, 2017? A summary of the information shared at the meeting is now available. Read the memo.
Questions or concerns about PFOA?
Call the switchboard at 802-828-1138.
The special PFOA call line 802-828-1038 is no longer in operation.
Find maps, bottled water pick-up, and testing info for:
Bennington, North Bennington, Shaftsbury, and Pownal
Go to community info.
Info on gardening, raising livestock, & agriculture:
Learn about agricultural products and PFOA
View FAQs from the Agency of Agriculture
PFOA Health Information
FAQs about PFOA for Concerned Residents
More response information at Vermont Department of Health PFOA page, or call toll-free at 800-439-8550.
More information on PFAS in drinking water at Vermont Department of Health PFAS page, or call toll-free at 800-439-8550.
- April 23, 2019 Community Update
- October 5, 2018 Community Update
- July 23, 2018 Community Update
- July 10, 2018 Community Update
- April 2018 Community Update
- February 2018 Community Update
- December 2017 Water System Updates
- November 2017 Water System Updates
- October 2017
- September 2017
- PFOA Community Update & Public Meeting Announcement
- Bennington PFOA Consent Order & Comment Period
- VT Leaders Announce Settlement w/Saint-Gobain
- August 2017
- June 2017
- June 2 Bill Signing Ceremony in Bennington
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- Week of October 31, 2016
- Week of October 3, 2016
- Week of September 12, 2016
- Week of August 29, 2016
- Week of August 15, 2016
- Week of July 25, 2016
- Week of July 11, 2016
- Week of July 4, 2016
- Week of June 27, 2016
- Week of June 20, 2016
- Week of June 6, 2016
- Week of May 30, 2016
- Week of May 23, 2016
- Week of May 16, 2016
- Week of May 9, 2016
- Week of May 2, 2016
- Week of April 25, 2016
- Week of April 18, 2016
- Week of April 11, 2016
- Week of April 4, 2016
- Week of March 28, 2016