For any questions or concerns, call the VT DEC PFAS hotline at 802-693-0206.
Frequently Asked Questions
On March 14, 2023, the EPA released draft Maximum Contaminant Levels (MCLs) for six PFAS known to occur in drinking water.
The State is reviewing the details of the EPA announcement, but does not plan on making any immediate changes to how the State regulates drinking water in Vermont, including residential wells. The proposed federal MCL does not result in an automatic change to Vermont drinking water standards. As the EPA engages in rulemaking, the Vermont Departments of Environmental Conservation and Health will evaluate EPA’s proposal and begin to craft an appropriate path forward to revise the State’s current applicable drinking water standards for PFAS.
Vermont is a national leader in protecting its residents from impacts associated with PFAS. The state will continue its ongoing response to address PFAS in the environment. The State of Vermont has taken numerous steps to protect the public from impacts associated with PFAS, as outlined in the state’s current (2019) PFAS Roadmap, including sampling for PFAS in Vermont’s public drinking water systems. The state is in the process of updating the 2019 PFAS Roadmap, which is expected to be available for public review and comment in the next several weeks.
Studies and Reports
- Review of Conceptual Leachate Treatment Scoping Study New England Waste Services of Vermont (NEWSVT) (2020) Civil & Environmental Consultants, prepared for Vermont DEC.
- Poly- and Perfluoroalkyl Substances Inputs to Wastewater Treatment Facilities (2022) Weston & Sampson
- Poly- and Perfluoroalkyl Substances at Wastewater Treatment Facilities and Landfill Leachate (2020) Weston & Sampson
- PFAS Waste Source Testing Report for New England Waste Services of Vermont (2019) Sanborn Head & Associates
- Conceptual Leachate Treatment Scoping Study for New England Waste Services of Vermont (NEWSVT) Landfill (2019) Brown and Caldwell
- PFAS Background in Vermont Shallow Soils (2019) University of Vermont, Sanborn Head & Associates
- General Information on PFAS Factsheet
- The Act 21 PFAS Law Factsheet
- The Department of Health PFAS and Drinking Water Factsheet
- The Drinking Water Testing for Well Owners Factsheet
- The Department of Health Drinking Water Testing Factsheet
- Interstate Technology & Regulatory Council (ITRC) PFAS Factsheets
- Information on PFAS Settlements for Public Water Systems
- DEC Statement on 2022 EPA PFAS Advisories
- EPA has Modified their PFOA/PFOS Health Advisory Values - August 18, 2022
- EPA Announces New Drinking Water Health Advisories for PFAS Chemicals, $1 Billion in Bipartisan Infrastructure Law Funding (2022) - EPA
- Drinking Water Health Advisories (HAs) - EPA
- Vermont PFAS Surface Water, Fish Tissue, and Wastewater Treatment Facility Effluent Monitoring Report (2022)
- Sources of PFAS in Vermont Wastewater (2022)