Operational Permit Reference Materials
General Application Information
Applicants should always consult this page for most recent application forms and guidance prior to submitting an application.
Each new application shall meet all applicable criteria for water quality, groundwater recharge, channel protection, overbank flood protection, and extreme flood control as outlined in the 2017 Vermont Stormwater Management Manual (VSMM).
Under section 4.4 of the VSMM, designers may propose the use of alternative treatment practices. More information on the submittal guidelines, review process, and allowable alternative practices are available on the Alternative Treatment Practices Page.
The Vermont State Stormwater Discharge Permits are based on the following Stormwater Management Rules. Please refer to these documents as needed.
- Chapter 18: Stormwater Management Rule for Non-Stormwater Impaired Waters
- Chapter 22: Stormwater Management Rule for Stormwater Impaired Waters
All permit applications must be submitted on a CD/DVD by mail. Fee payments must be by check, payable to State of Vermont. Application submittals will not be accepted via email or through external ftp sites. Unless full scale paper copies of site plans are specifically requested by the Stormwater Program, electronic versions of site plans are preferred.
An application will be considered administratively incomplete and will not proceed onto technical review unless all of the items listed on the NOI form, and all of the required worksheets for any STP or waivers listed are included as detailed on the Standards Compliance Workbook . Application forms and worksheets are updated as necessary. They must be downloaded from this website each time you submit a new application. Submitted applications using out-of-date forms may be rejected.
A complete application is comprised of all the applicable application materials and a check for the applicable fees. These materials should be organized into 6 separate documents, saved individually as PDFs. The six PDFs should be named as shown below:
- "Attachment 1: Narrative"
- "Attachment 2: Workbook"
- "Attachment 3: Worksheets"
- "Attachment 4: Modeling"
- "Attachment 5: Plans"
Please refer to the Application Requirements for Operational Permits document for more detailed information on application submittals.
Examples of completed applications are available on our Trainings & Examples page.
Notice of Intent Forms
- General Permit Notice of Intent (NOI) Forms
- Individual Permit Notice of Intent (NOI) forms
- Application forms for new Individual Discharge Permit (INDS)
- As of January 1st, applicants for individual permits must notify abutting landowners that a permit application is being submitted. A form is available in letter format.
- Application forms for the renewal of an Individual Discharge Permit
- NOI for a new Individual Stormwater Offset Permit
- NOI for the renewal of an Individual Stormwater Offset Permit
- Attachment 1: Narrative (docx) - Use this word document as a template for the narrative of any new project. This attachment should include a soils map and a location map. Required for all new applications.
NOTE: Users currently using Excel 2016 Version 1708 (Build 8431.2079) may notice that cell colors have disappeared in Page Layout view (the default) from the workbooks. This issue has been fixed in a subsequent update from Microsoft.
- STP Selection Tool (xlsx) - This workbook shall be used for all projects to identify the highest performing practices for meeting the Water Quality Treatment Standard based on site feasibility.
- Standards Compliance Workbook (xlsx) - This workbook is required for all projects except for certain projects permitted under the Chapter 6.0 Public Linear Transportation. It details compliance with the stormwater treatment standards for each discharge points and summarizes compliance at the site level. (This workbook replaces Schedule A's and individual standards worksheets)
- Public Transportation Workbook (xlsx) - A workbook meant for projects applying under Chapter 6.0 of the 2017 VSMM for public linear transportation projects. The Standards Compliance Workbook may also be required for certain Redevelopment with Expansion - Public Transportation projects and New Construction projects. See Appendix 1 the Application Guidance for more information.
- Worksheets shall be used as necessary depending upon the Stormwater Treatment Practices (STPs) and waivers applied at each discharge point for a given project in the Standards Compliance Workbook. Each STP, waiver or credit also has a required worksheet, and in some cases accompanying guidance, to assist compliance with all of the required elements of the Vermont Stormwater Management Manual.
- Post Construction Soil Depth and Quality Worksheet - required for all new applications
- Waiver Worksheets
- Stormwater Treatment Practice Worksheets (all in Excel format) (updated to fix Tc calculations)
- Simple Method Worksheet