Operational Permit Reference Materials
General Application Information
Application Forms (worksheets)
Each new application shall meet all applicable criteria for water quality, groundwater recharge, channel protection, overbank flood protection, and extreme flood control as outlined in Volume I of the Vermont Stormwater Management Manual (VSMM). Volume II of the VSMM provides more detailed technical guidance related to these requirements.
- Vermont Stormwater Management Manual- Volume I: Stormwater Treatment Standards
- Vermont Stormwater Management Manual-Volume II: Technical Guidance
The Vermont State Stormwater Discharge Permits are based on the following Stormwater Management Rules. Please refer to these documents as needed.
- Chapter 18: Stormwater Management Rule for Non-Stormwater Impaired Waters
- Chapter 22: Stormwater Management Rule for Stormwater Impaired Waters
All permit applications must be submitted on a CD/DVD by mail. Fee payments must be by check, payable to State of Vermont. Application submittals will not be accepted via email or through external ftp sites. Unless full scale paper copies of site plans are specifically requested by the Stormwater Program, electronic versions of site plans are preferred.
An application will be considered administratively incomplete and will not proceed onto technical review unless all of the items listed on the NOI form, and all of the required worksheets for any STP, waiver, or credit listed are included as listed on the Schedule A. Application forms and worksheets are updated as necessary. They must be downloaded from this website each time you submit a new application. Submitted applications using out-of-date forms may be rejected. Please refer to the Application Requirements for Operational Permits document for more detailed information on application submittals.
A complete application is comprised of all the applicable application materials and a check for the applicable fees. These materials should be organized into 5 separate documents, saved individually as PDFs. The five PDFs should be named as shown below:
2. “Attachment 1: Narrative”
3. “Attachment 2: Worksheets”
4. “Attachment 3: Modeling”
5. “Attachment 4: Plans”
Notice of Intent Forms
- General Permit Notice of Intent (NOI) Forms (forms current as of April 2016)
- Individual Permit Notice of Intent (NOI) forms (forms current as of April 2016)
- Application forms for new Individual Discharge Permit (INDS)
- Application forms for the renewal of an Individual Discharge Permit
- NOI for a new Individual Stormwater Offset Permit
- NOI for the renewal of an Individual Stormwater Offset Permit
- Attachment 1: Narrative - Use this word document as a template for the narrative of any new project. This attachment should include a soils map and a location map. Required for all new applications.
- Worksheets shall be used as necessary depending upon the Stormwater Treatment Practice (STP), waiver and credit applied at each discharge point for a given project. Designers must indicate on the Schedule A how compliance with each of the stormwater criteria, either through the use of an STP, a waiver, a credit, or some combination of the three, has been met. Each STP, waiver or credit also has a required worksheet, and in some cases accompanying guidance, to assist compliance with all of the required elements of the Vermont Stormwater Management Manual.
Schedule A Worksheet
- The Schedule A worksheet is required for all new projects. It summarizes how compliance with the five stormwater criteria has been achieved for each discharge point.
Water Quality Treatment Standard Worksheets
- Recharge Worksheet
- Channel Protection Treatment Standard Guidance
- Waiver Worksheets
- Credit Worksheets
- Simple Method Worksheet
- Stormwater Treatment Practice Worksheets (all in Excel format)
- Micropool Extended Detention Pond (P-1)
- Wet Pond (P-2)
- Wet Extended Detention Pond (P-3)
- Multiple Pond System (P-4)
- Pocket Pond System (P-5)
- Shallow Wetland (W-1)
- Extended Detention Wetland (W-2)
- Pond/Wetland System (W-3)
- Gravel Wetland (W-4)
- Infiltration Trench (I-1)
- Infiltration Basin (I-2)
- Surface Sand Filter (F-1)
- Underground Sand Filter (F-2)
- Perimeter Sand Filter (F-3)
- Organic Filter (F-4)
- Bioretention (F-5)
- Dry Swale (O-1)
- Wet Swale (O-2)
- Grass Channel (O-3)
- Dry Detention Pond (LA-1)
- Underground Storage Vault (LA-2)
- Hydrodynamic Device (LA-3)
- Oil & Grit Separator (LA-4)
- Filter Strip (LA-5)