- Facility Inspector Assignments
- Nitrogen Optimization Plans
- Reported Sewer Overflow and Release Events
- Monitoring Report Forms
- Operation, Management and Emergency Response Plans
- Emergency Pollution Permits
- Guidance Documents and Resources
This section oversees the operation of Vermont's municipal, private and industrial wastewater treatment facilities (WWTFs) through periodic on-site inspections of facility operations, effluent data collections and laboratory testing procedures. The section is involved in technical review of many aspects of WWTF management, including twenty-year engineering evaluations, design review for upgrades, complaint investigations, emergency response plans, etc.
- For assistance with on-site (septic) wastewater systems with flows of less than 6,500 gallons per day or with municipal sewer connections, please consult the Wastewater Systems and Potable Water Supplies Regional Office Program
- For assistance with on-site wastewater systems with flows of greater than 6,500 gallons per day, please consult the Indirect Discharge Program
- Need training? The Wastewater Facility Operator Certification Program offers operator certification exams and training opportunities
- Looking for assistance with laboratory manuals, vendors, guidance documents? Try the Wastewater Laboratory Assistance Page
- For assistance with wastewater treatment facility energy efficiency, please consult Efficiency Vermont
Wastewater Inspector facility assignments are based on county.
To see a list of inspector facility assignments please visit our contact page.
All wastewater facilities are required to have Nitrogen Optimization Plans (NOPs) included in their permit. For questions and/or assistance with NOPs contact your WW Inspector.
- Nitrogen Optimization Checklist - this checklist is used by the program for evaluating submitted NOPs
Sewer overflows and release events have the potential to pose a threat to human and/or environmental health.
To view information about recent sewer overflow and release events that have been reported to the Wastewater Management Program, visit our Reported Sewer Overflow and Release webpage. The search criteria is auto-filled for the previous 30 days. To see additional (earlier) data, simply adjust the begin date. NOTE: There is no data available prior to January 1, 2007.
For more information on Reported Sewer Overflows and other Release events see: http://dec.vermont.gov/watershed/wastewater/discharge-notifications
In 2006, the Vermont Legislature passed legislation which created new discharge permit requirements for municipal wastewater treatment facilities. That legislation (Act 154) became effective on July 1, 2007 and requires all municipal wastewater treatment facilities to prepare and implement an Operation, Management and Emergency Response (OMER) Plans (also known as Sewage Spill Prevention Plans), which have two principle components:
- treatment facility, pumps stations and stream crossing; and
- collection systems.
In an effort to help municipalities comply with this new requirement the Wastewater Management Program teamed with the Green Mountain Water Environment Association (GMWEA) to develop guidance for preparing OMER Plans:
- Guidance for Preparation of Plans to Prevent Sewage Spills (OMER Plan)
- Guidance checklist - OMER Attachment A - WWTF
- Guidance checklist - OMER Attachment B - Pump Stations
- Guidance for OMER/Sewage Spill Prevention Plans - Collection Systems
- 2007 GMWEA Guidance for Sewage Spill Prevention Plans - determining "elements prone to failure"
- Below are examples of an OMER Plan and components:
- WR-43 Reporting Forms: (these links will download the appropriate Excel file) 0, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
- WR-43-TP Total Phosphorus monitoring worksheet
- Phosphorus Loading Spreadsheet for tracking annual Total Phosphorus
- WR-43-TN Total Nitrogen Monitoring Report Form
- WR-43-TN Total Nitrogen Monitoring Report Form (MS Excel)
- WR-43-CM Constituents Monitoring Report Form for POTWs
- WR-43-CM Constituents Monitoring Report Form for POTWs (fill-in form)
- WR-43-ID-3 Permit Monitoring Information Form
- WR-43-ID-3 Permit Monitoring Information Form (MS Excel)
- WR-43-3-9004 Discharges from Petroleum Related Remediation Activities (also used for reporting requirements of 3-9016 authorizations)
To request paper forms, please contact Mari Cato (802-490-6105).
- Schedule E: Emergency Pollution Permit WR-82E in PDF
- Schedule E: Emergency Pollution Permit WR-82E in MS Word
- Lake Champlain TMDL Implementation and Wastewater Treatment Plants: FAQ
- Written Guidance for Preparation of Emergency Action - Electric Power Failure Plans
- Guidelines for Wastewater Treatment Inspection Ratings
- Basis of Final Design Guidance Document
- Guidance for Establishing Influent and Effluent Sampling Locations - March 21, 2007
- Written Guidance For Preparation of Plans to Prevent Sewage Spills - August 13, 2007
- Vermont Rural Water Association (VRWA)
- Green Mountain Water Environment Association (GMWEA)
- Efficiency Vermont
- New England Water Pollution Control Commission (NEIWPCC)
- New England Water Environment Association (NEWEA)
- Water Environment Federation (WEF)