Lake Encroachment Permitting

Lake Encroachment Permits (LEP) are issued under 29 V.S.A Chapter 11 (Management of Lakes and Ponds), which regulates Encroachment in public waters. The goals of this program are to minimize the encroachment on public waters as well as ensure that projects do not adversely affect the public good and are consistent with the Public Trust Doctrine.

Private Ponds

pond with trees on far edge, lawn on closer sidePrivate ponds are owned by one person or entity and located entirely on the owner's property.  If natural, they may be up to 20 acres in size or artificial, of any size.  Vermont has hundreds of small ponds, many of which provide great habitat for plants, animals, and people.

Permit Handbook

Online Permit Handbook Sheets
Permit Handbook information sheets
The Permit Handbook was once a 3-ring binder of information sheets found in many town offices and state offices--created by the EAO to assist people in understanding the various permit programs of the State of Vermont. The paper copies are no longer in service, but the usefulness lives on in this online version.

Find A Permit Specialist

Installer Program

The Regional Office Program is developing a new voluntary installer program for contractors who install onsite wastewater treatment (septic) systems and potable water supply connections.  The concept is to provide installers the information and training associated with the proper siting, design, and construction of wastewater systems and potable water supplies that are regulated by the Wastewater System and Potable Water Supply Rules. 

Training classes will be developed based on best practices and the requirements contained in the Wastewater System and Potable Water Supply Rules.


Subscribe to RSS - permits