Skip to main content

A Guide to Spring Cleaning in Vermont: “What Do I Do with This?”

April 18, 2024

For Immediate Release – April 18, 2024

Media Contact:
Mia Roethlein, Environmental Analyst
Department of Environmental Conservation

A Guide to Spring Cleaning in Vermont: “What Do I Do with This?”

Montpelier, Vt. – Spring has arrived and it's the perfect time for some cleaning. The Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) encourages residents to properly dispose of or recycle unwanted household items.

DEC Commissioner Jason Batchelder urges homeowners "to keep hazardous and recyclable materials out of the trash. Proper disposal not only protects our communities but also reduces the risks associated with harmful chemicals and potential battery fires."

Unwanted items like old TVs, leftover fluorescent light bulbs, mercury thermostats, leftover paint, and expired batteries can be taken to free special recycling locations across the state. Visit DEC’s and click on the orange “Special Recycling” symbol to find a collection location near you.

Special recycling collections save natural resources, reduce carbon emissions and waste, and provide materials that are made into new products, like Local Color Paint, appliances, and batteries.

Responsibly disposing of household hazardous waste (HHW) – including any household, automotive, lawn, or garden products labeled “caution, toxic, danger, hazard, warning, poisonous, reactive, corrosive, or flammable” – is an important step in personal and public safety. Residents can bring HHW to collection events or HHW facilities. Learn about local collections from your waste district or town’s website at

“Store any unwanted or leftover products safely until you can bring them to a special recycling location or a household hazardous waste collection event or facility in your region,” said Anne Bijur, the DEC Materials Management Section Supervisor.

For other spring cleaning questions, visit the DEC’s “What Do I Do With This?”, which explains how to get rid of items like tires, scrap metal, medications, and more. You can also learn what to do with things locally by exploring your waste district, alliance, or town’s A-Z Guide, an online, searchable list of waste items, and what to do with them.

Learn more at or call 802-828-1138. If Mia Roethlein is not available at 802-522-5926 or, contact Anne Bijur at 802-522-5783 or


The Department of Environmental Conservation is responsible for protecting Vermont's natural resources and safeguarding human health for the benefit of this and future generations. Visit and follow the Department of Environmental Conservation on Facebook and Instagram.

Non-Discrimination Notice:

The Vermont Agency of Natural Resources (ANR) operates its programs, services, and activities without discriminating on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, national origin (including limited English proficiency), ancestry, place of birth, disability, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or breastfeeding (mother and child).

Language Access Notice:

Questions or Complaints/Free Language Services ǀ SERVICES LINGUISTIQUES GRATUITS | भाषासम्बन्धी नि:शुल्क सेवाहरू ǀ SERVICIOS GRATUITOS DE IDIOMAS ǀ 免費語言服務 | BESPLATNE JEZIČKE USLUGE ǀ БЕСПЛАТНЫЕ УСЛУГИ ПЕРЕВОДА | DỊCH VỤ NGÔN NGỮ MIỄN PHÍ ǀ 無料通訳サービス ǀ ነጻ የቋንቋ አገልግሎቶች | HUDUMA ZA MSAADA WA LUGHA BILA MALIPO | BESPLATNE JEZIČKE USLUGE | အခမဲ့ ဘာသာစကား ဝန်ဆောင်မှုများ | ADEEGYO LUUQADA AH OO BILAASH AH ǀ خدمات لغة مجانية: or 802-636-7827.