Skip to main content

Flood Related Hazardous Materials Assistance

Containers of flood related hazardous wastes temporarily stored in a parking lot

Thank you to all the residents, businesses and towns that participated in the emergency flood related hazardous materials collection program.  The last day for flood related hazardous material drop-off at the Middlesex location was Saturday 8/12. Towns, businesses and residents with flood related hazardous materials after 8/12, can bring to permanent collection facilities, to household hazardous waste collection events, or can make arrangements with a licensed hauler to pick up. 


Residents can bring their flood-related hazardous materials to the State of Vermont hazardous materials collection site at the former Middlesex Police Barracks at 1078 U.S. Route 2 in Middlesex Monday through Saturday from 10AM to 4PM (starting 7/31) or to local collection locations and events listed below. Please note the hours of operation or call before you go to a collection location as information may change. 

  • Flood-related hazardous materials must be a part of a flood clean-out and commonly include: cleaners, chemicals, paint, paint thinners/strippers, pesticides, gasoline, oil, propane and other gas cylinders, batteries, fluorescent bulbs, mercury thermostats, mercury thermometers, and other dangerous or toxic wastes.
  • Materials that will not be accepted at these locations or events: explosives, fireworks, flares, ammunition, sharps, electronics, non-hazardous flood debris or solid waste. For assistance disposing flood-related explosives, fireworks, flares, and ammunition contact your local fire or police department. 

Businesses with hazardous materials can bring up to ten (10) 5-gallon containers of flood-related hazardous materials to the State of Vermont collection site in Middlesex, Vermont and may call local collection locations and events to ask if they are accepting hazardous materials from businesses.  
Businesses that generate hazardous waste or that have larger amounts of flood-related hazardous materials should call the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Hazardous Materials Program at (802) 828-1138 for assistance. 

Towns not listed below that have collected flood-related hazardous wastes from residential or business clean-outs may self-transport to the Middlesex location. If a town would like to arrange a pickup or would like to host a temporary collection site, please call the Solid Waste Management Program at 802-828-1138.

Residents and businesses can call the DEC Solid Waste Management Program at the number above with any questions on flood-related hazardous materials.  
The U.S. EPA is working with the State of Vermont for a limited time so please take advantage of these resources while they are available.