Spills Management

oil tank in basement with broken seam
train off tracks, heavy equipment
trailer with red pond of kerosene spill in yard
tipped over truck, absorbent material on roadway spill
kerosene stain spreading on ice
river of blue ink in ditch
kerosene spill in ice-covered lake

To Report a Spill:
During regular office hours:                         802-828-1138
(M-F 7:45am – 4:30pm EST)                                  

24-Hour HAZMAT HOTLINE:                         800-641-5005

National Response Center:                          800-474-8802
(for impacts or potential impacts to surface water)

The DEC Spills Program assesses the environmental impact of hazardous materials spills, oversees the cleanup of spills, and enforces environmental laws and regulations triggered by spills (See:Vermont Statutes Specific to Spills and Vermont Hazardous Waste Management Regulations (VHWMR), 7-105).  A team member is available 24-hours a day, year round. The Team works with first response organizations and responsible parties to determine if a spill impacts or threatens sensitive receptors such as surface waters or drinking water wells. Team members oversee the cleanup of a spills, and work with Environmental Enforcement to enforce environmental regulations triggered by spills. The DEC Spill Team has the authority to hire cleanup contractors when the responsible party cannot be identified in a timely manner or is unwilling/unable to conduct the cleanup. It is also obligated to pursue cost recovery from potentially responsible parties when State funds have been expended.

Spill Reporting:

Spills must be reported immediately (as response allows). Do not report a spill by email, text or any written form of communication. You must talk directly with someone from Emergency Management or a member of the DEC Spills Program. Leaving only a voicemail will not suffice. Use the spill reporting numbers above. Do not call spill program members' direct lines to report a spill. For spills that impact (or potentially impact) surface water, you will also need to call the National Response Center. For general program questions or information about reporting requirements contact Tim Cropley (802) 828-1138 (or request to speak to a different spill program member if Tim is unavailable).

What types of spills need to be reported?

  • Any discharge of hazardous waste, or release of hazardous material that exceeds 2 gallons;
  • A discharge of hazardous waste, or release of hazardous material that is less than or equal to 2 gallons and poses a potential or actual threat to human health and the environment;
  • A discharge of hazardous waste, or release of hazardous material that equals or exceeds its corresponding reportable quantity under CERCLA as specified under 40 CFR § 302.4.

Please see Hazardous Material Spill Response Fact Sheet for additional information.

Note: Any petroleum-related spill over 2 gallons needs to be reported.

Note: All discharges of hazardous waste, or releases of hazardous materials that exceed 2-gallons, are required to be reported. The above photo illustrates what a 2-gallon spill may look like on a packed gravel surface.

Spills Database:

The Spills Database contains recent and historical spill information including the release location, type of product released, nature of incident and more. To find out spill manager contact information for a specific spill, search the database using the facility name, address, responsible party, or report number. Once you have located the spill, click "view".

Important Spills Management Links:

Agency of Natural Resources
Department of Environmental Conservation
Waste Management and Prevention Division

Davis Building - 1st Floor
One National Life Drive
Montpelier, VT 05620-3704