The Vermont Salvage Yard Program is responsible for the implementation of Vermont Statues and Rules pertaining to the operation of salvage yards. The program is also charged with:
- Annual permitting of salvage yards,
- Development and provision of best management practices and other training materials to ensure salvage yards operate in a manner protective of Vermont citizens and the environment,
- Conducting compliance inspections at permitted salvage yards, and investigating complaints of unpermitted salvage yards.
New in 2018:
Act 150 of the 2017 Legislative session requires new public notice steps for new salvage yard permits and renewals. These steps are found in 10 V.S.A. 7701-7718. The new law requires:
- Salvage yard permit applicants must provide notice to adjoining landowners on a form provided by ANR (http://dec.vermont.gov/sites/dec/files/ENB/DEC-Adjoiner-Form-Template.pdf.
- Applicant must certify to the Secretary the adjoining landowners have been notified.
- Once a complete application is received, a draft permit is posted for 30 days on the State’s Environmental Notice Bulletin https://enb.vermont.gov/
- Once posted, interested parties can submit comments, which the Agency must consider before issuing the permit.
- After 30 days the permit decision will be made.
For more information on the legislation please visit http://dec.vermont.gov/permits/enb
Forms and Applications
Any person wishing to establish, operate or maintain a salvage yard in the State of Vermont shall obtain a permit from the Salvage Yard Program.
Applicants must obtain a Certificate of Approved Location (COAL) from the town where the salvage yard is located prior to submitting an application to the Salvage Yard Program.
Other information that may be useful when considering establishing or operating a salvage yard:
- Salvage Yard Rules
- Salvage Yard Fact Sheet
- 2017-2018 LIST OF PERMITTED SALVAGE YARDS
- Materials Removal Plan A plan that details a removal schedule that will result in compliance within two years.
- 2018 VT Salvage Yard Program Newsletter
All Salvage Yard permits (new and permit renewals) can be found on the ENB website.
The Environmental Notice Bulletin (ENB) provides the public with information about applications that are under consideration by the Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC). It is updated daily, and includes permit applications for the Salvage Yard programs. Applications which are deemed administratively complete on January 1, 2018 or later will publish to the ENB and will remain on the site throughout the decision process and until the application's appeal period has ended. For detailed instructions on using the ENB, please see the Instructional Guide. There is also a FAQ sheet available.
Please submit comments on draft permits to:
Marc Roy, Program Manager
1 National Life Drive, Davis 1
Montpelier, VT 05620-3704