Through the passage of Act 156, the legislature transferred the licensing of Wastewater (Pollution Abatement) Facility Operators from the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) to the Secretary of State’s Office of Professional Regulation (OPR).
DEC will continue to review and approve wastewater courses for the requisite continuation credits for your certification.
As of January 1, 2017, OPR manages ALL pollution abatement facility operator licenses. For answers to questions, read DEC's frequently asked questions or visit OPR's webpage. Read OPR's outreach letter for specific instructions as to how to register your license.
DEC is no longer issuing or providing administrative support to pollution abatement licenses.
Exams? After the transition, exams will be available for a fee, at any time, directly from the Association of Boards of Certification through (proctored at) H&R Block facilities across the region – at Burlington, VT, Albany, NY, and Manchester, NH. You’ll need to prove your eligibility by registering with OPR. In the future, exams will be computer-based and available anytime at these and other locations throughout our region. Exam results will be available instantaneously. The next time exams will be available is likely this summer - stay tuned for updates.
If you are a current licensee, register your DEC-issued license with OPR license NOW.
Please contact Kara Shangraw with OPR at firstname.lastname@example.org or (802) 828-5434.
Or, use the following webpage to register your DEC-issued license at: https://www.sec.state.vt.us/professional-regulation/list-of-professions/pollution-abatement-facility-operators.aspx.
- Kara Shangraw: 802-828-5434 (for OPR-issued license)
- David DiDomenico: 802-490-6184 & Jill Draper: 802-490-6118 (for technical or course assistance)
- OPR Licensee Look-up Tool (select "License lookup as a guest user")
- List of wastewater treatment facilities where a certified operator is required
- Current list of all wastewater treatment facilities with an active permit from the wastewater program
In accordance with standards established by OPR administrative rule, legal authority of licensing pollution abatement (wastewater) operators has transferred to OPR.
A facility having a discharge permit issued pursuant to 10 V.S.A. Sections 1263 or 1265 or a permit or certificate of compliance issued pursuant to 10 V.S.A. Section 1973, requiring facility operation by certified operators shall employ chief operator, assistant chief operator and operator(s).
For a determination of classification specific to your treatment process and design flow, please see Appendix 1 of the Wastewater Treatment Facility Operator Certification Rule.
Domestic wastewater treatment facilities have five (5) classification levels. Class 1 facilities have simplified treatment processes with low design flows. Class 5 facilities are more complex treatment processes with design flows of greater than 5.0 MGD.
Industrial treatment facilities are classified in three categories; dairy, metal, and paper. There are also three (3) levels to each classification (1, 2, & 4). Each level of industrial classification is based on treatment process and design flow.
Training opportunities provided by partner organziations are available to attain the requisite credit requirements. A list of approved courses is available below with a list of common providers. DEC recommends you consult directly with these organziations for course availability.
- DEC 'Pre-approved' Course List
- Green Mountain Water Environment Association (GMWEA)
- National Rural Water Association (NRWA)
- New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission (NEIWPCC)
- New England Water Environment Association (NEWEA)
- State of New Hampshire, Department of Environmental Services (NH DES)
- Vermont Rural Water Association (VRWA)
- VTDEC Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection Division (Water System Operator Certification links may contain information pertinent to wastewater treatment facility operators.)
- Wastewater Treatment Facility List
- Water Environment Federation (WEF)