The MISSION of the Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection Division is to protect human health and the environment for this and future generations by managing Vermont’s drinking water supplies; protecting the quality and quantity of Vermont’s groundwater resources; and regulating wastewater disposal activities that could adversely affect groundwater. The Division accomplishes this mission through its outreach, education, assistance and regulatory activities.
The Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection Division’s (DWGWPD) main office is located in the National Life Building in Montpelier. There are also staff located in five regional offices.
Regulatory programs managed by the Division include, but are not limited to:
- Groundwater Reclassification- Class I and II (water)
- Groundwater Withdrawal (water)
- Indirect Discharge (wastewater)
- Public Drinking Water Supply
- Wastewater System and Potable Water Supply (regional offices)
- Underground Injection Control (wastewater)
The Division also certifies/licenses:
The above programs all have compliance and enforcement components, as well as permit issuance responsibilities. The Division, along with State-approved regional and national organizations, provides technical assistance and educational opportunities to water system operators and site designers. The Division supports and/or co-sponsors training opportunities that enhance the technical abilities of our regulated communities, as well as our own staff. Within these pages, you will find the rules and regulations under which each program regulates activities, applicable applications, forms, guidance, practices, procedures, information about the training opportunities for the individuals we license, lists of those individuals, and other related links.
- Contact the Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection Division: Phone: 802-828-1535 (during business hours 7:45am - 4:30pm weekdays) - Emergency Preparedness and Security
- For After-Hours Water System Emergencies: Dial 802-741-5311 - then enter your phone number (a local call within Vermont for a 24-hour pager for Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection emergency response)
Please go to the Regional Offices Program page to find a map for our regional offices. The map will link to information about the Montpelier, Essex Junction, Rutland, Springfield, and St. Johnsbury offices. Our main office is in Montpelier.
If you wish to contact DWGWPD staff, call the numbers as listed or send an email to staff. You may also contact us by leaving a message on our main line: 802-828-1535. Montpelier office fax number is 802-828-1541.
If you wish to meet with staff at the National Life building please call ahead to arrange a time, so staff can greet you in the lobby. All visitors are required to sign in and obtain a visitor's badge.