Basin 14 includes the lands and area drained by the Ompompanoosuc, Stevens, Waits and Wells Rivers. The underlying objective of the Basin Planning Process is to protect the high quality surface waters of the basin and to restore those waters of the basin that do not meet the Vermont Water Quality Standards. DEC is working collaboratively with other state, federal, non-profit and volunteer organizations, and local residents for input, funding, technical assistance, and public education for various water quality improvement projects identified through the watershed planning process.
2015 Stevens, Wells, Waits and Ompompanoosuc Tactical Basin Plan
Finalized on August 27, 2015, the Department is pleased to offer the new draft Basin 14 tactical plan for use by Agencies and partner organizations to protect, maintain, enhance, and restore surface waters.
Stevens, Wells, Waits and Ompompanoosuc Existing Uses
For more information, contact:
Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation
Watershed Management Division
1 National Life Drive, Main 2
Montpelier, VT 05620-3522
Phone: (802) 490-8019
Some notable current or past actions completed in Basin 14 include:
- Bridge and culvert surveys of all four watersheds in Basin 14
- Stevens River Geomorphic Assessment and associated sediment attenuation projects
- Stevens River volunteer water quality sampling
- Ticklenaked Pond Total Maximum Daily Load (PDF, 0.5 MB), Phosphorus reduction projects and Internal Treatment study
- Wells River Stream Geomorphic Assessment (PDF, 10.5 MB)
- Waits River Phase 1 and Phase 2 Stream Geomorphic Assessment (PDF, 18 MB)
- Strafford Conservation Commission’s River Corridor Plan (PDF, 2.6MB) for the West Branch of the Ompompanoosuc River
- Ompompanoosuc River Phase 1 (PDF, 1.6 MB) and Phase 2 Stream Geomorphic Assessments (PDF, 23.2MB)
- EPA Clean up for Elizabeth Mine, Ely Mine, Pike Hill mine
- Elizabeth Copper Mine Bioassessment
- Ompompanoosuc river E. coli sampling 2007 report (PDF, 0.5 MB) and TMDL report (PDF, 3.8 MB)
2009 Basin 14 Water Quality Management Plan.
- Basin 14 Water Quality Management Plan (PDF, 2.5 MB).
- Basin 14 Appendix (PDF, 616 KB).
- Basin 14 Report Card (PDF, 115 KB)
- Connecticut River Joint Commissions
- Connecticut River Watershed Council
- Map of Vermont's 15 Major Drainage Basins
- New Hampshire Charitable Foundation - Upper CT River Mitigation & Enhancement Fund
- Statewide Surface Water Management Strategy
- Tactical Basin Planning
- Vermont Clean Water Initiative Projects