The LaRosa Volunteer Water Quality Monitoring Analytical Services Partnerships
(LaRosa Partnership Program)
Since 2003 this partnership has helped watershed associations and monitoring groups across the state of Vermont implement new and/or ongoing surface water monitoring projects for waters in need of water quality assessment by helping to alleviate the financial burden of laboratory analysis costs. This testing allows citizens to get out and see their streams and rivers firsthand, learn about water quality issues, and use water testing to identify where impacts are present.
Waters in need of monitoring that are of particular concern to your watershed group and of interest to our department are encouraged to apply for this partnership. The concern could be recreational, aesthetics, or simply an overwhelming feeling that an impact is occurring that has yet to be addressed and more sampling is required.
If you do become a LaRosa partner, responsibilities include: preparing RFPs (request for proposals), QAPPs (Quality Assurance Project Plans), training volunteers to collect the water samples, collecting the water samples, sample delivery to VAEL, completing bottle orders, interacting with the VAEL staff, watershed coordinators and Jim Kellogg, QCing the data and getting the data to Jim via a prepared template (it then gets further QC review), preparing the final report, and disseminating the results to the public. If you are sampling E.coli at swimming holes, posting signs directly at the sites is also required.
Read testimonials of what watershed groups involved with LaRosa have said about the program.
Interested in partnering with the LaRosa program? Read the Request For Proposals document, which has detailed information about the program. The proposal for the 2018 sampling season is due by February 14, 2018.
- LaRosa Volunteer Monitoring Sites and Years Data Retrieval- a database where you can query watershed associations' data by site or by year and export to excel. This data has been thoroughly reviewed.
- LaRosa Partners Web-Based Chemistry Results for Final Review- For LaRosa partners only. A password-protected database with each watershed group's data that has not been through all QAQC measures.
- Vermont Integrated Watershed Information System- The VTDEC-Watershed Management Divison's online data portal for water quality information. Here you can access water quality and chemsitry testing information from all of Vermont. This holds PRELIMINARY LaRosa data that has not gone through any QAQC measures.
- VT ANR Atlas- mapping tool with over 150 different layers from across the department
- 2018 Request for Proposals for Laboratory Analytical Services - Document updated yearly with the partnership information. 2018 Deadline = February 14, 2018!
- 2018 Request for Proposals for Organizational Support - 2018 Deadline = February 14, 2018!
- US EPA Generic QAPP Outline - Quality Assurance Project Proposal, submitted yearly.
- LaRosa Submission Guidelines - Guideline for laboratory use and sample submission.
- Bottle Request and Field Sheet
- LaRosa Organizational Support Grant templates
Current 2016 LaRosa Partners:
Addison County River Watch Collaborative
Black River Action Team
Connecticut River Watershed Council
Four Rivers Winooski Partnership
Franklin Watershed Committee
Friends of Mad River
Huntington River Conservation Partnership
Lake Iroquois Association
Memphremagog Watershed Association
Missisquoi River Basin Association
Ottaquechee River Group
Poultney Mettowee Watershed Partnership
Seymour Lake Association
South Chittenden River Watch/ LaPlatte Watershed Partnership
Upper Otter Creek Watershed Council
Upper Winooski Joint Conservation Commissions
Southeastern Vermont Watershed Alliance (SeVWA)
White River Partnership
Williston Conservation Commission
Past LaRosa partners:
Calais Conservation Commission
Essex Waterways Association
Friends of Northern Lake Champlain
Lake Iroquois Tributary Monitoring Program
Lake Rescue Association
Northwoods Stewardship Center
Norwich Conservation Commission
Ompompanoosuc Watershed Council/White River NRCD
Rock River-Friends of the Missisquoi Bay
St Albans Bay Association
Stevens River Watershed Council
Reports are written by LaRosa partners at the end of each sampling season.
Partners- thank you for all of your hard work!
Allen Brook (Williston Conservation Commission) : | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2010 |
Addison County River Watch Collaborative: | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 |
Black River Action Team: | 2017 | 2016 | 2014 | 2013 |
Calais Conservation Commission: | 2005 |
Rethink Runoff Stream Team: | 2017 | 2016 | 2015| 2013 | 2012 |
Essex Waterways Association: | 2006 |
Four Rivers Winooski Partnership: | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2013 |
Franklin Watershed Committee: | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 |
Friends of Mad River: | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2012 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 |
Friends of Northern Lake Champlain: | 2015 |
Huntington River Conservation Partnership: | 2016 | 2014 | 2013 | 2006 | 2004 |
Lake Iroquois Tributary Monitoring Program: | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 |
LaPlatte Watershed Partnership: | 2017 |
LaPlatte Watershed: | 2012 | 2011 | 2004-2010 |
Thorp Brook, Kimball Brook, Holmes Creek Watershed: |2013 | 2011 |
McCabes Brook: | 2014-2015 |
LaPlatte River: | 2014-2015 | 2013 |
Thorp Brook Kimball Brook: |2014-2015 |
Memphremagog Watershed Association: | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008
Northwoods Stewardship Center: | 2006 |
Missisquoi River Basin Association: | 2016 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2008 |
Ompompanoosuc Watershed Council: | 2015 | 2007 | 2006 |
Ottaquechee River Group: | 2017 | 2010-2015 | 2010 |
Poultney Mettowee Watershed Partnership: | 2016 | 2014 | 2013 | 2011 | 2010 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2004 |
Lake Rescue Association: | 2008 |
Seymour Lake Association: | 2009 | 2008 |
Stevens River Watershed Council: | 2007 | 2005 |
Upper Otter Creek Watershed Council: | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2010 | 2007 | 2006 | 2004 |
Winooski Headwaters Partnership: | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2008 | 2007 |
Southeastern Vermont Watershed Alliance: | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 |
White River Partnership: | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2011 | 2010 | 2008 | 2007 |
Vermont Agricultural and Environmental Laboratory (VAEL)
US Geological Survey StreamStats
WikiWatershed: Freshwater Stewardship Web tools
Real Statistics using Excel
Flow Observation Guidelines- Example flow observation photos. Important reference for identifying flow level and flow category during sampling.
Additional Proposal and QAPP Preparation Resources:
- Vermont Assessment Page with Lists of Impaired and Priority Waters:
- “Vermont Surface Water Assessment and Listing Methodology”
- "Vermont Surface Water Management Strategy"
- “Vermont Volunteer Surface Water Monitoring Guide”
- EPA's “Volunteer Monitor's Guide to Quality Assurance Project Plans”