Aquatic Nuisance Control

Application Process

In accordance with the DEC Permit Expediting Procedure, the standard review times for given categories of applications are as follows:

Pesticides and chemicals other than pesticides: 180 days
Bottom barriers and powered mechanical devices: 75 days
Structural controls and biological controls: 180 days

Application Forms and Fees

An application form, all required support materials, and the application fee must be submitted for your application to be deemed complete. Municipalities and the Agency of Natural Resources are exempt from the application fee. Checks should be made payable to the State of Vermont.

The appropriate application fees, effective July 1, 2014 pursuant to 3 V.S.A. Section 2822(j), are listed below. All application forms are revised periodically, so please be certain to use the most up to date forms. 

Aquatic Nuisance Control Permit Fees
Permitted Activity Private Waters Fees All Other Waters Fees
Bottom Barrier $35 $75
Biological Control $75 $300
Structural Controls $75 $300
Powered Mechanical Device $35 $175
Aquashade & Copper Compound Algacides $50 $500
All Other Chemicals & Pesticides $75 $500
Approval under General Permit $25 $50

Permit Application Forms

Chemicals other than Pesticides
Bottom barriers
Powered mechanical devices
Structural Controls
Biological Controls

*Private Ponds: natural ponds not more than 20 acres in size or artificial ponds of any size, owned by one person and located entirely on the owner's property, and stocked at the owner's expense with fish artificially hatched or reared, provided that the sources of water supply for the pond are entirely upon the owner's premises or that fish do not have access to the pond from waters not under the owner's control or from waters stocked at the expense of the state (defined in 10 V.S.A. Section 5210). If you believe your pond is private, please provide documentation with your permit application. 

Adding Permittees

All new Decision-makers or Operators to an authorized activity must become a permittee. To do so, submit the Notice of Addition Form

Requests for Permit Modifications

Requests for modifications to an existing Aquatic Nuisance Control Permit are determined by the DEC to be either minor or major. Minor modifications are typically a change to some detail contained in a permit condition. They do not require a review of the findings of the permit. Major modifications typically require the ANC Program to revisit one or more of the findings required for that control activity to assure that the finding can still be made. A minor modification request should be made by the permit holder in the form of a letter addressed to the ANC Program. A major modification request should be submitted by the permit holder by completing an appropriate permit application form for the control activity and submitting the application to the ANC Program. The appropriate application fee must accompany the application form. Major modifications are subject to public notice. 

Permit Duration

By statute, permits for pesticide use or chemicals other than pesticides may be issued for up to five (5) years. Permits for bottom barriers, powered mechanical devices, structural controls, or biological controls may be issued for up to ten (10) years. 

Public Review and Comment Procedures for Aquatic Nuisance Control Permit Applications and General Permits.

WSMD - lp Lakes Home