Municipal Roads General Permit (MRGP)
Permit Fee Information
The Municipal Roads General Permit is intended to achieve significant reductions in stormwater-related erosion from municipal roads, both paved and unpaved. Municipalities will implement a customized, multi-year plan to stabilize their road drainage system. The plan will include bringing road drainage systems up to basic maintenance standards, and additional corrective measure to reduce erosion as necessary to meet a TMDL or other water quality restoration effort. The permit is required by Act 64, the Vermont Clean Water Act, and the Lake Champlain Phase I TMDL.
For more information on the DEC Municipal Roads program and the development of the Municipal Roads General Permit, contact Jim Ryan by email or at (802) 490-6140.
- Final Municipal Roads General Permit
- Response to Comments received during the public comment period.
Municipalities shall apply for the MRGP by July 31, 2018. The Department is currently developing the Notice of Intent (NOI) application form. When it is complete, it will be posted here.
Municipalities shall complete a Road Stormwater Management Plan (RSWMP) by December 31, 2020. The RSWMP consists of the municipality’s Implementation Table and results of the Road Erosion Inventory.
- Implementation Table – The Department is currently developing the Implementation Table template and when it is complete, it will be posted here.
- Road Erosion Inventory Forms
- MRGP presentation (PDF format, 4.6 MB file size)
- MRGP presentation (Powerpoint format, 27 MB file size)
- Intermittent Stream Culvert Sizing Guidance
- Summary Sheet
MRGP fees are established by the Legislature. The current fee schedule, 3 V.S.A § 2822, is available on the legislative website at: https://legislature.vermont.gov/statutes/section/03/051/02822. The sections relevant to the MRGP can be found beginning at 3 V.S.A § 2822 (j)(2).
Initial administrative processing and application fee - $240 + $400
Annual operating fee - $2000
Final Draft Municipal Roads General Permit (MRGP) Permit for Public Review