DRAFT Solid Waste Management Rules Overview
Draft Solid Waste Management Rules Submitted to the Legislative Committee on Administrative Rules
After incorporating the necessary changes prompted by public comments (see below), the Draft Solid Waste Management Rules have been submitted to LCAR for review and adoption. The following Responsiveness Summary was generated from the public comment process and resulted in the latest draft of the Rules (provided in clean and track-changes versions).
- 2020 Responsiveness Summary
- 2020 Draft Solid Waste Management Rules submitted to LCAR (clean version and annotated version)
Summary of the Draft Solid Waste Management Rules
This rulemaking is a comprehensive revision to the Agency of Natural Resources’ (ANR) Solid Waste Management Rules (SWMR). Current regulations were last revised in 2012, specifically to address the addition of compost management facilities, the remainder of the regulations have not been updated since 2006.
This rulemaking intends to accomplish the following:
- Restructure and organize of the SWMR for clarity;
- Incorporate the provisions of existing solid waste procedures into rule;
- Adjust and clarify, the existing regulations; and
- Update the SWMR’s technical provisions to reflect recent legal and policy developments and the current practices occurring within Vermont’s solid waste management industry.
This formal comment period follows two informal comment periods on these revisions that occurred in 2017 and 2019. The program considered comments received and prepared the responsiveness summaries found below. This 2020 draft of the Solid Waste Management Rules has incorporated changes made in response to public comments in addition to other revisions, additions and removals the Program has made in the intervening time.
The Program accepted comments on the Draft 2020 Solid Waste Management Rules through April 21, 2020. Ten sets of comments were received and the full-text of each submittal is listed below.
We have finished the process of reviewing and responding to the comments submitted in the 2020 Responsiveness Summary document which also summarizes any corresponding changes made to the Draft Solid Waste Management Rules.
Two public informational meetings were held virtually via Skype for Business and conference call on March 18th, 6-8 pm and March 23rd, 6-8 pm.