***Application Deadline Extended to July 15, 2019 ***
Applications for the Governor’s Awards for Environmental Excellence are encouraged from:
- Vermont Green Business Members and Brewery Cohort Members
- Business, Industry, and Trade or Professional Organizations,
- Non-Profit and Community Organizations,
- Educational Institutions, and
- Local, State, or Federal Government.
Examples of Eligible Projects:
- Innovative energy conservation projects that measurably reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Pollution prevention projects that reduce or eliminate the generation of pollutants and waste at the source, including toxics use reduction efforts.
- Projects that conserve resources and protect the environment by minimizing resource consumption through reduced use, reuse, and recycling.
- Projects that improve stewardship of Vermont’s natural resources (e.g., forest land, watershed management, wildlife habitat, air resources, and high quality recreational lands).
- Innovative projects that inform and educate Vermonters about environmentally responsible practices leading to behavior change that enhances environmental quality.
- Ecosystem and/or habitat restoration projects.
- Innovative land use management/planning projects that create ecological and environmental benefits.
- Be located in Vermont,
- Have been initiated within the past three years and have been fully operational for one year. NOTE: Long term projects (i.e., those initiated prior to 2014) may be considered if a new measurable environmental benefit has been achieved in the past three years and/or the project has served as a model for other successful projects, and
- Be submitted by an applicant in good standing with environmental laws and regulations with no formal enforcement actions within the past three years. Compliance history will be considered, however, the compliance record of a parent company will not prevent an applicant from a local/regional facility from being considered.
Application Review Criteria
Applications will be subject to a thorough screening process that will involve an eligibility review, program/technical review, and a compliance review. Applications will then be evaluated by a panel of judges selected by the Secretary of the Agency of Natural Resources. The panel will submit a list of recommended projects to the Secretary for a final determination. Due to the wide variety of projects that may be considered, certain review criteria may be more significant than others for a particular project.
Review criteria are:
- Measurable Environmental Benefits (including environmental justice)
- Demonstration of Innovation, Sustainability and/or Partnerships
- Cost and Economic Benefits
- Advancement of Environmental Education
All submittals must follow the instructions on the application form. Only applications submitted electronically in the required format (see application) will be considered.