Truck with "Food scraps on board" - link to list of haulers providing food scrap pick-up

Small Hauling Truck - Link to list of permitted waste haulers

Waste Haulers

Any party intending to haul waste materials to or from any location in Vermont for compensation must obtain a hauling permit from the Agency of Natural Resources. Permits allow the Agency to hold waste haulers accountable for practicing safe and environmentally sound transportation methods, and delivering waste materials to an appropriate final destination. This page contains information on applying for and renewing waste hauler permits, as well as recent policy guidelines affecting waste haulers. 

Hauler Permit Information

Criteria for Jurisdiction

All commercial haulers  operating within the State of Vermont are required to obtain and maintain a waste transportation permit. A commercial hauler is defined as:

(a) any person that transports regulated quantities of hazardous waste; and,
(b) any person that transports solid and residual (septage or sewage) waste for compensation.

 Permits are issued as five-year permits, and are required to be renewed on an annual basis by submitting an updated version of the vehicle report form and an annual statement. Potential solid waste haulers should check with their local solid waste management district for additional permit requirements, if any.

Guidance Brochures for Haulers

  1. Hauler Annual Renewal Brochure
  2. Hauler New Permit or Hauler 5-Year Permit Renewal Brochure

Information Required

  1. Company Name and Contact Person;
  2. Identification of each vehicle to be used to transport waste;
  3. Types of waste to be transported;
  4. General waste origin and destination;
  5. Disclosure statements (10 V.S.A. Section 6650f);
  6. Certification of employee training (hazardous only);
  7. Insurance and financial responsibility documents (hazardous only);
  8. U.S. EPA identification number (hazardous only).


  • Residuals (septage & sewage) and Solid Waste Hauler Permits: $50.00 per truck, tractor, trailer.   
  • Septage Haulers must pay a fee of $10.00 per 1,000 gallons pumped (rounded to the nearest 1,000 gallon).   Fees are due quarterly, and submitted  to the Residuals Management Program using the Septage Reporting and Payment Form (pdf).
  • Hazardous Waste Hauler Permits: $125.00 per truck, tractor, trailer

Forms for Application 

 Please fill out forms and send by mail to:  

Department of Environmental Conservation
Waste Management & Prevention Division
Attn: Cheryl Hamilton
1 National Life Drive, Davis 1, Montpelier, VT 05620-3704



Link to access education and outreach resources on recycling and managing food waste

WMD - Locate a Facility Widget

link to locate transfer stations, drop-offs, and composters

Agency of Natural Resources
Department of Environmental Conservation
Waste Management and Prevention Division

Davis Building - 1st Floor
One National Life Drive
Montpelier, VT 05620-3704