Any party intending to haul waste materials to or from any location in Vermont for compensation must obtain a hauling permit from the Agency of Natural Resources. Permits allow the Agency to hold waste haulers accountable for practicing safe and environmentally sound transportation methods, and delivering waste materials to an appropriate final destination. This page contains information on applying for and renewing waste hauler permits, as well as recent policy guidelines affecting waste haulers.
Hauler Permit Information
Criteria for Jurisdiction
All commercial haulers operating within the State of Vermont are required to obtain and maintain a waste transportation permit. A commercial hauler is defined as:
(a) any person that transports regulated quantities of hazardous waste; and,
(b) any person that transports solid and residual (septage or sewage) waste for compensation.
Permits are issued as five-year permits, and are required to be renewed on an annual basis by submitting an updated version of the vehicle report form and an annual statement. Potential solid waste haulers should check with their local solid waste management district for additional permit requirements, if any.
- Company Name and Contact Person;
- Identification of each vehicle to be used to transport waste;
- Types of waste to be transported;
- General waste origin and destination;
- Disclosure statements (10 V.S.A. Section 6650f);
- Certification of employee training (hazardous only);
- Insurance and financial responsibility documents (hazardous only);
- U.S. EPA identification number (hazardous only).
Residuals (septage & sewage) and Solid Waste Hauler Permits: $50.00 per truck, tractor, trailer
Hazardous Waste Hauler Permits: $125.00 per truck, tractor, trailer
Forms for Application
- Business Disclosure Statement
- Personal History Disclosure
- 2016-2017 Vehicle Report Form - Current year (expires on June 30, 2017)
- 2017-2018 Vehicle Report Form - New (valid July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2018) Electronically Fillable Version
- Annual Renewal Statement
- Supplemental Application (for Hazardous Waste Transporters ONLY)
- Waste Transporter Annual Report ( Any hazardous waste transporter permitted by the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources must complete the Hazardous Waste Annual Report for transporters by April 15th of each year)
Please fill out forms and send by mail to:
Department of Environmental Conservation
Waste Management & Prevention Division
Attn: Cheryl Hamilton
1 National Life Drive, Davis 1, Montpelier, VT 05620-3704