Any party intending to haul waste materials to or from any location in Vermont for compensation must obtain a hauling permit from the Agency of Natural Resources. Permits allow the Agency to hold waste haulers accountable for practicing safe and environmentally sound transportation methods, and delivering waste materials to an appropriate final destination. This page contains information on applying for and renewing waste hauler permits, as well as recent policy guidelines affecting waste haulers.
Hauler Permit Information
Criteria for Jurisdiction
All commercial haulers operating within the State of Vermont are required to obtain and maintain a waste transportation permit. A commercial hauler is defined as:
(a) any person that transports regulated quantities of hazardous waste; and,
(b) any person that transports solid and residual (septage or sewage) waste for compensation.
Permits are issued as five-year permits, and are required to be renewed on an annual basis by submitting an updated version of the vehicle report form and an annual statement. Potential solid waste haulers should check with their local solid waste management district for additional permit requirements, if any.
Guidance Brochures for Haulers
- Company Name and Contact Person;
- Identification of each vehicle to be used to transport waste;
- Types of waste to be transported;
- General waste origin and destination;
- Disclosure statements (10 V.S.A. Section 6650f);
- Certification of employee training (hazardous only);
- Insurance and financial responsibility documents (hazardous only);
- U.S. EPA identification number (hazardous only).
- Residuals (septage & sewage) and Solid Waste Hauler Permits: $50.00 per truck, tractor, trailer.
- Septage Haulers must pay a fee of $10.00 per 1,000 gallons pumped (rounded to the nearest 1,000 gallon). Fees are due quarterly, and submitted to the Residuals Management Program using the Septage Reporting and Payment Form (pdf).
- Hazardous Waste Hauler Permits: $125.00 per truck, tractor, trailer
Forms for Application
- Business Disclosure Statement
- Personal History Disclosure
- 2017-2018 Vehicle Report Form - only valid through June 30, 2018.
- Electronically Fillable 2017-2018 Vehicle Report Form only valid through June 30, 2018. Opens in browser. Please download before completing form.
- 2018-2019 Vehicle Reporting Form- This application is for permit year: July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019.
- Electronically Fillable 2018-2019 Vehicle Report Form. Opens in browser. Please download before completing form.
- Due by May 1, 2018 for Annual Renewals, and Permits that will expire on June 30, 2018. This application is also available to all NEW HAULERS that will be hauling on, or after July 1, 2018.
- Annual Renewal Statement
- Supplemental Application (for Hazardous Waste Transporters ONLY)
- Waste Transporter Annual Report ( Any hazardous waste transporter permitted by the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources must complete the Hazardous Waste Annual Report for transporters by April 15th of each year)
Please fill out forms and send by mail to:
Department of Environmental Conservation
Waste Management & Prevention Division
Attn: Cheryl Hamilton
1 National Life Drive, Davis 1, Montpelier, VT 05620-3704